Author Topic: Slate Run RR (Pennsylvania Narrow Gauge Logging)  (Read 43621 times)

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Slate Run RR (Pennsylvania Narrow Gauge Logging)
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »
My narrow gauge modeling will depict the Logging Railroad Era in Pennsylvania.  Although there are some prototype resources available on-line, my main resource is the "Logging Railroad Era of Lumbering in Pennsylvania" series of books.  So far I am working on building rolling stock either from kits or by scratchbuilding.  Since many of the available kits represent western US railroading, I am bashing or scratch building to more closely represent an eastern US flavor.  Then again, it is my railroad, so if you see a D&RGW or Westside caboose show up, I do not take prototype fidelity to an extreme. ;).

One of the things I like about lumbering in PA is the variety of wood-related industries that popped up around the saw mill.  Wood Chemical Plants, kindling mills,  paper mills, tanneries, clothes pin factories and other wood manufacturing plants of other types, all add variety to what can be included on a layout.  Some of the logging railroads also served the oil fields or coal mines that were often in the area also.

I will use this thread to document my progress (slow as it usually is) on the Slate Run.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:50:22 AM by Dutchman »
Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Slate Run RR (Pennsylvania Narrow Gauge Logging)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:11:33 AM »
Yes, there really was a Slate Run Railroad in Pennsylvania.  It was 3' gauge and primarily served the lumber industry.  It was one of only two logging railroads in PA that has documented evidence of using a McGiffert loader.  Who knows, one might show up on my layout.

As mentioned in the opening post, the wood chemical industry was large in PA.  They used unwanted (smaller) hardwood logs to make wood alcohol, charcoal, acetate of lime, etc.  A typical flat car carrying wood to a chemical plant looked much like a pulpwood car.  Using a picture I found in the PA Logging series, I added end racks and a load of wood to this flat car.  The car itself was a Carter Brothers Flat Car kit from Evergreen Hill Designs.

Although I know many use N-Scale couplers on their rolling stock, I primarily use Kadee 714's.

Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:17:05 AM »
Slab wood from the mill was typically either burned at the mill to generate steam power, or sent to a kindling mill.  Drying and cutting kindling wood for starting coal fires in kitchen stoves was a big business in the northeast in the late 1800s and early 1900s.  If the kindling mill was located close to the saw mill, the slab wood was cut into 4' lengths and transferred via a conveyor.  However, if the kindling mill was further away, the slab wood was thrown in a gondola and transported by rail.

I scratchbuilt this gondola from the ground up to represent a car in 'slab wood' service.

I used Mountain Laurel branches for both the chemical wood load and the slab wood load.
Bruce

yrnmb

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 02:07:10 PM »
Looks like you have a good start. I like your vision of your RR. It's refreshing to see a non-Colorado narrow gauge layout, although I do appreciate and enjoy CO narrow gauge as much as the next guy. But, I'm a little biased, as my layout will be set in the Ozark mountains of northern Arkansas. Good luck with your progress.

Rob Smith
Oklahoma City

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:39:12 PM »
Thanks, Rob.

The more you move away from Colorado, the more scratch building and kit bashing you have to do.  Luckily, I enjoy both of those endeavors.

I am currently building a few under frames for new cars.  Almost like an assembly line, I get in the mood to build the under frames and add the brake rigging.  I have to strike while the iron is hot, since this is usually a task I try to avoid.  I've finished two now and think I will do one more before moving on to finishing the upper part of the cars.

Here is a finished underframe for a small caboose I will build.

Before moving on, I always temporarily install the couplers and trucks to make sure everything lines up and is at the right height.

Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 10:50:03 AM »
As I mentioned, until I actually get ready to extend my layout around the room and add the narrow gauge branch, I have been spending some time on HOn3 rolling stock.  The pictures are all taken on a 2' x 2' diorama that I made just for that purpose.  My collection of rolling stock was given a boost when two friends, who moved out of HOn3, sent me some of their cars.  I have been slowly adding loads, fixing some broken items, tuning trucks, changing couplers.

I will show a few pictures of those cars.

This car was a Rail Line kit, I think.  My friend added the end door and I added the lettering and swapped out the couplers.

Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 04:52:05 PM »
Until I get my C-19, the only motive power on the Slate Run is this brass Forney I got from Caboose Hobbies.  It has been at a friends house getting re-powered and painted.  I hope to have it back next week.

Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:12:02 AM »
Continuing with a look at my HOn3 rolling stock, here is a gondola made from a Micro Engineering kit, I believe.

Bruce

Wolfgang

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Valley RR
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 08:16:45 AM »
Great built gon. I like it.
I'm busy with - for now - a last segment for my staging yard. Then comes the next projects.  :)

Wolfgang
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR
The route from module to module

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:11:23 AM »
Until I get my C-19, the only motive power on the Slate Run is this brass Forney I got from Caboose Hobbies.  It has been at a friends house getting re-powered and painted.  I hope to have it back next week.

Someone please produce this model!
Mark

cadetpwr

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »
I love that little forney!  Cant wait to see how it runs when you get it back from being repowered.  I am currently doing Colorado area narrow gauge but have long been into logging.  I have a little Ken Kidder Porter Mogul in HOn3 that would make a good beginning to a logging branch, but I really want a geared engine for logging.  P.S. Now ya got me looking for one of those Forneys.  I may have a couple of my surplus engines sold so I have spending $$.  But I would have also gladly swapped one of my narrow gauge lokies for that little Forney. Also cant wait to see more of your scratchbuilt cars. Its giving me lots of ideas and might get me into the building mode!   Mike
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 03:21:27 PM by cadetpwr »

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  I should have the Forney back this week.  I will post more photo at that time.  I have a 6' test track set up, so I will see what the improvement is with the new motor.

I am in the midst of two more scratchbuilds - the caboose whose underframe I posted, and a 28' 'Provisions Car'.  I saw a picture of one of those in my PA Logging series, and thought I would make one up.  I spent some time today at the drawing table with T-Square and right triangles, doing the drawings for those cars.  I still haven't made the transition to CAD, and probably won't at my age. :)

Mark, I know that Forneys are available in the large scales, but nothing but brass for us HOn3 guys right now.
Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 05:44:22 PM »
Mike,

Caboose Hobbies has a brass Forney on their website.  It is a bit more than I paid for mine (also from Caboose Hobbies), but it is a fancier model, too.

Here is the link:  http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=167505&prod_image_ext=jpg
Bruce

cadetpwr

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
I seen that one and have looked at those before.  I dont care for some of the newer Korean built brass, just feels flimsy for the price and when compared to the older Japanese built stuff I have.  I think I have found one like yours thru the 'brass collectors" yahoo group I am a member of.  Let me know what motor ect is put in it as I will be repowering mine and adding DCC and working lights.  Since my layout is more Colorado based, I am going to have an ore hauling line with small ore jennies pulled by the Forney.  What size wood are you using for your frame on your caboose.  That would be my first project to build.  All the factory cabooses on the market in HOn3 are to "Colorado" looking in my book.  I need to get my little Porter mogul off to someone to put new gear box and can motor in it.  I still lack the needed puller and quartering tool to do the work myself.  For now it doesnt run to bad with the original Pittman motor.  Depending how the Forney runs, I might just keep the branch line DC and use my DCC for other stuff.  Cheers  Mike

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 11:05:19 PM »
Mike,

The frame on the caboose is 1/16" x 3/32" (about 5.5" x 8.25" in HO).

I'm keeping with DC on my HOn3 logging branch.
Bruce