Author Topic: Slate Run RR (Pennsylvania Narrow Gauge Logging)  (Read 40615 times)

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Slate Run RR (Pennsylvania Narrow Gauge Logging)
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »
Wolfgang,

I still have to letter it for the Slate Run RR.  But first I want to finish the scratch built cars that I am slowly working on.

Mike,  I sent you an e-mail with my friend's e-mail address (to your hotmail account).
Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 12:33:07 PM »
I'm still plugging along with my scratch build of a "provisions car" and want to give a progress report. 

But first let me begin by thanking Mr. Thomas T. Taber III, author of five of the 13 books in the "Logging Railroad Era of Lumbering in Pennsylvania" series, for giving me permission to post photos from his books in my on-line threads, my clinics, and in any articles I might write in the future. I hope to meet with Mr. Taber later this spring.

My HOn3 "Provisions Car" based is on a photo found on page 328 of his book "Ghost Lumber Towns of Central Pennsylvania". Here is a portion of that photo. (The loco is a Climax, the most common geared loco used in lumbering in PA.)

Here is an update picture of where I am now.

The roof in the photo is a temporary one made of paper, and the 'cabin' is not glued in place yet.  Since I am using this car as one of the eight I need to earn the "Cars Certificate" in the NMRA Achievement Program, everything except the trucks, wheels, couplers and brake castings are scratchbuilt.  I plan on making the roof removable and detail the inside of the car, too.
Bruce

Wolfgang

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Valley RR
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
That's an interesting car. And making with interior will be nice - and bring points.  :)
How many certificates do you already hold?

Wolfgang
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR
The route from module to module

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 06:00:09 PM »
Wolfgang,

Currently I have certificates in Scenery, Cars and Author.  I also have the Golden Spike.  So this would be my fourth.

Interesting point about the interior detailing.  In our region, that could gain you points in detailing, but loose you points in scratchbuilding - unless you scratchbuild the majority of the details.  So, I got out my modeling clay (Sculpey) and made some flour/grain sacks, crates, and a few barrels.  They weren't perfect, but will look fine inside the car.
Bruce

Wolfgang

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Valley RR
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 03:20:30 AM »
For me it was a long way with start in 2000. 2002 I've got Electrical and Scenery, 2003 Author, 2006 Dispatcher and Structures, 2009 Motive Power and last year Civil - and MMR.
My problem was to get judged, with the AP manager llives 300 km away.

Wolfgang
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »
Congratulations on the MMR, Wolfgang!

Back in the summer of 2007 I thought I had met the qualifications for the Golden Spike, so I tried to schedule a time for an evaluation team to visit my layout.  By the time we found a common date, it was early December.  In the mean time I kept working on scenery on the layout, so by the time the team came, I had met the qualifications for Scenery as well.  They also judged a number of the structures on my layout at that time, including the necessary bridge.  By the time they left that day, I had Golden Spike and scenery.  Six months later I finished the structures.  I set a personal goal of one certificate per year, and got the author in 2009.  Last year, however, was a bust for me and the hobby for a number of reasons, so I fell behind by a year.  Right now I am about half-way done with the cars certificate, and want to finish it up this year.  Then it will be Civil and Electrical, both of which I have some completed.  We will see.
Bruce

Wolfgang

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Valley RR
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 09:47:30 AM »
I think you can learn a lot on the way. And with projects you earn not enough points you learn too! You learn how to do better work.

Wolfgang
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 02:16:57 PM »
I continue to creep along with the scratch built Provisions Car.  The interior is now done.  All the details except the stove itself are scratch built.  The crates, barrels and sacks are made from Sculpey.

I still have to mount the signs on the roof, add the brake staff and wheel, and make and install the coupler cut levers.

Bruce

Wolfgang

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Valley RR
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 02:36:15 PM »
This car comes great. It makes me eager to build such a car too.
But I have enough other projects. Now I'm busy with my tunnel module and a tank car kit.

Wolfgang
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »
Thanks, Wolfgang.

I figured I would build some 'unique' cars as long as I was at it.

Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 10:36:14 PM »
I have been working (and re-working) on the roof of the Provisions Car.

This was my first attempt.

After living with it for a while, I decided to re-do the roof and the signs for a couple of reasons.  First, the removable roof just didn't fit as well as I thought it should.  Second, I thought that the signs were too tall. (I made them a scale 2' tall.) Finally, I thought that the roof thickness and the size of the braces I used on the sign looked too 'clunky'.

So, back to the bench.  The first roof used 1/16" basswood as the sub-roof.  The new one is made of 1/32" birch plywood, and it hugs the walls of the 'cabin' nicely.  The new signs are a scale 18" in height.  I also got rid of the yellow overall sign and made a new one in the same color scheme as the Gold Medal Flour sign.  The bracing on the sign is also smaller.  Overall I am happier with the new roof.  It was worth the few extra hours that it too.

The roof vent is not plumb in the pictures and will be cut a bit lower before final installation.  I still have some details to add and some weathering to do, but the end is in sight.

This is a comparison of the old roof and the new one.

Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
Well, with the exception of toning down those Kadee couplers, this guy is done.  Changes since last time: roof vent shortened and installed with flashing; roof grab by ladder, cut levers made and installed, hinges installed on rear door, brake staff and wheel installed, and a little weathering to tone things down.  I think that I at least captured the essence of the Provisions Car from Mr. Taber's book.

Bruce

NGPhil

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2011, 07:12:42 PM »
Really nice Dutchman!  I think the signs turned out great.  I've been dealing with those couplers too.  I think next time I'm buying black couplers.  What's next on your build list?
Phil Light

ChrisS

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 11:47:43 PM »
Another very nicely done car Bruce!  Impressive work!

bullbrauch

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2011, 12:12:54 AM »
Dutchman,

I love it and really like what you did with the sign!  Looking at the proto picture I noticed the stake pockets.  I think this detail would help you with points toward your acheivement score.

Brandan
Brandan