Author Topic: Slater Lake Lumber Co - The Begining  (Read 14204 times)

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Slater Lake Lumber Co - The Begining
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:13:44 AM »
SLATER LAKE LUMBER CO

Its been a number of years since I last built a layout.
Back in 2007 I built an n scale shelf layout that I gave to a friends son. It was more of a test run and something to keep me busy. I learnt a lot of things from building it.

So comes the time that I now have space. Not a lot of space but its space.
I have an area 2.5m x 0.5m to build a shelf layout with a cassette at one end for operations.
I plan to build a shadow box style using aluminium tube frame, 3mm MDF fronts and backscene and a extruded foam base for laying track on.

My constraints:
-   Must be portable (im renting a unit and may need to be stored)
-   Track height of 1600mm
-   Hand laid track with fast tracks No4 points code 55
-   DC with possible DCC in future (mainly brass collection I am yet to deal with DCC)
-   Manual Points

The Theme:
-   As the name suggests a logging operation. Set on the west coast.
-   1900 to 1920
-   Geared Steam running short 5 or 6 car log trains (being a short layout)

Structures and Scenes
-   Small mill and mill pond to be completely scratch built. (plans/designs almost complete)
-   Loco service area Ė loco shed, timber loads, water tower
-   Sierra West Scale Models railroad camp (in the post at the moment)
-   Sierra West Scale Models logging camp bunks ( special kit Brett put out from his series but only the bunk cars from the logging camp)
-   Possible wharf scene if space permits.

My current position on this project:

I have an overall layout design. This has been in the works for about 12 months. Constantly changing things here and there to improve it as structure dimensions are designed.

I have most of the equipment for my sawmill stored away and am about 85% complete with plans and templates for this. (going to be a lot of stirp wood to order).
Basic engine shed is designed bases on the On30 model by Steve Pettit.

My sierra west kits from Brett are in the post.

The modules will be built in the coming months (to busy travelling to the ski resorts since its winter here).

Anyway this seems like a lot of information to spit out at once but my hope is that posting it here will push me to pick up the tools and get working.

I will post some designs I have tomorrow since I am at work and canít upload pictures from my work PC.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Slater Lake Lumber Co - The Begining
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:21:49 AM »
Thought i would share some of my inspiration.
The usual logging layouts that inspire lots of us but it never hurts to see them again.

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_red_stag_on3.html

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_chamatiago_hon3.html

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_charging_moose_mining_co.html

http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_leigh_creek_modular.html

Anyway thats all from me today i think.
Hopefully i can upload my plans then i get home from work although im having issues acessing the forum from my home computer for a few weeks now  :(
Cheers Adrian

yrnmb

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:07:57 PM »
It all sounds like a good plan, and a lot of fun. I've recently found myself in a similar position, in regards to starting a layout, so I'll be watching your progress with interest. I've been telling myself I need to start a thread just like this, to help with motivation also. Once I see you making progress, maybe that'll get me going. Good luck!

BobH

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »
That first logging layout is WOW in my opinion.  Extra nice work with realistic looking people.

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 07:03:41 PM »
Well i had time to upload some screen shots from CAD today of my design for the layout and also what my mill will look like.
The mill plans just need a tidy up. All the dimensions and things will be on there when im complete. I should be able to do an A3 version of all the plans as a PDF at the end. Well thats what i am working towards.

So here is the track plan.

The side view of the mill. The log haul is not designed yet. I might get some time at lunch. I need to look over some prototype stuff.

End view (from log pond end)

The different roof truss designs.

Wall frame sections
Cheers Adrian

NGPhil

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 06:30:58 AM »
Looks like a great plan Adrian!  I thought about doing a diorama/layout like this too.

The one thing that I've always liked about the red stag layout is the scale trees.  I see all these logging layouts where guys are hauling 2 inch diameter logs around on the line but then all the scenery trees are typical 3 inch TALL HO scale trees!  It drives me nuts.  When you look at historic photos of logging operations, the trees dwarf the locomotives.  I think if you do it right (like the red stag layout) the scale trees really really enhance the overall appearance and reality of the layout.

Lookin forward to more updates.
Phil Light

yrnmb

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 01:09:43 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that the red line between the sawmill and the engine shed in your track plan is the dividing point for two modules? If so, can you tell me the overall length of the module that has the sawmill? Thanks.

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 06:48:08 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that the red line between the sawmill and the engine shed in your track plan is the dividing point for two modules? If so, can you tell me the overall length of the module that has the sawmill? Thanks.

Been away for a few days on holiday but now i am back You are correct. The length of the mill module is 1000mm x 500mm and the larger module is 1500mm x 500mm.

Phil i have to agree with your comments. there are a lot of layouts with out of scale trees vs logs. Im not sure what im going to be making trees out of but i have a few notes in my diary of different methods. I think foreground trees using balsa trunks or somthing that i can put a lot of detail in is key but then in the background using something off less detail to speed up the process.

I might get a chance to sit down at the workbench tonight and do some stuff although there is a lot of unpacking after my camping trip over the weekend.
Cheers Adrian

NGPhil

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »
I love the sawmill design.  I like that you'll be able to see all the equipment.  Where did you get the sawmill equipment kits?
Phil Light

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:36:25 PM »
I got the live rolls and edger kit from keystone. I have no saw for the mill yet. Considering making something from scratch but i have plenty of time to think about that. I will have to have a look at a transfer table design as well.
The rest of the stuff will be scratch build. The log haul and deck will be made from stripwood and the gears and things either from vectorcut http://www.vectorcut.com/accessoriesHO.htm towards the bottom of the page there.
A cut off saw i will use keystone parts for the rollers and since its towards the back of the mill when you look in i will compromise with the details a little because they will be some what obscured by the rest of the stuff.

Here is a link to another 1/4 inch scale mill build. You can get a basic idea of how the equipment goes together from it. It is also something i used to base my design on.
http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=2093&forum_id=4&page=1

There is a lot of options to consider but using the keystone equipment as a guide i have allowed enough room for the rest of the equipment. The overall structure will take a long time to begin with.
Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
Another interesting link i found today. http://home.roadrunner.com/~studiozphoto/Mill.html
Gives me some ides as to how i can scratch build the log deck. Using some simple air cylinders and a brass wire i should be able to build the hardwear.

I really need to get my order i for my stripwood. Also its like christmas i just got word there is a package waiting for me at home. I got a feeloing its from sierra west with my Railroad camp kit and log bunks.
Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 01:52:01 AM »
Some more ideas for scratch building equipment and things.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/85-STEAMPUNK-GEARS-Lot-5g-Watch-Parts-Industrial-Art-/160638043522?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2566c60582

Old watch gears can be used for loads of details.
Cheers Adrian

NGPhil

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 10:03:53 AM »
I assume you've seen the BTS sawmill interior kit?  A bit pricey but looks nice.  Near the bottom of the page you can buy a lot of the individual components from them too.

http://www.btsrr.com/bts8301.htm

Phil Light

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 08:14:33 PM »
Not a lot of time to do any modeling this last few weeks.
Have been moving office and doing a lot of outdoor stuff in the spare time.

A few small things ive been working on though. I purchased a couple of highway minature kits a few months back. Have been puting them togeather in my luch breaks at work and up to the painting stage now and then final assembly of them.

Im having trouble finding stuff to make trees from down here. Been hunting out caspia bush to make simmilar tree to the Red Stag lumber ones but have had no luck. I think im going to visit every florist in my area with a photo of the flower im after.

I picked up the stuff to make some trees the way steve petit does. The trees can be seen here http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_steve_pettit_ho.html
And the process for making his trees can be seen on youtube. Ill post the link another time (cant get to it on my work pc).

My new air brush arrived yesterday. I have a T-12 i want to paint and finish re motoring. Also two climax locos to paint as well.
This should keep me busy for a while and i will start on the sawmill equipment i have stored away.
Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 07:52:27 PM »
Feels like xmas here.

Just recieved a bunch of kits from Brett at Sierra West scale models.
Im going to be spending the next year painting detail parts.

Working on finishing off an O scale project and another HO bar mills kit to clear some space on the shelf.
Its time to have a clean up and get rid of all these kits that the layout wont consume.

Bit of a question.

Pink foam is somewhat hard to get here in Aus. because of that i am looking at other options. One of which is foamboard.
I was considering using 1/4 inch foam board that has a card layer on the top for flat scenic base and for track laying.
Anyone tried such a thing before?
Cheers Adrian