Author Topic: The Jasper & Southern RR  (Read 4440 times)

yrnmb

The Jasper & Southern RR
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:12:14 PM »
As I mentioned in a post in the Slater Lake Lumber Co thread, I'm working on motivation to get my layout started. I've gained a moderate sized spare bedroom, which will house my interpretation of a free lanced backwoods Ozarks mining and lumber road, the Jasper & Southern. I'll give more background on my plans in future posts, but I decided to get things started with this thread, so hopefully I'll get off top dead center.

I've included a pic of the layout room below, so you can see my starting point. The room is ~10-1/2' x 13', though it probably doesn't look like it. As you can see, I've got my work cut out just clearing the junk out. I fully expect the going to be slow, so don't expect rapid progress. It doesn't help that this weekend is the start of college football season, which will seriously eat into my Saturdays.

The layout room (wish me luck!):

yrnmb

Re: The Jasper & Southern RR
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:28:32 PM »
I know it's been a couple of weeks since my first post, but I don't have any physical progress to report yet. I have so much to do around the house that I'd feel guilty working on cleaning out my layout room, but I'm going to try and make some progress on that this week regardless. As for now, I thought I'd give a little background on the J&S RR.

As I mentioned, my layout is going to be set in the Ozarks of northern Arkansas. There was a lot of zinc and lead mining in the north central part of the state, pretty much centered around Yellville, in the late 19th and early 20th century. Jasper is a little west of this area, but I'm going to pretend there are some mines in the area so I can include a couple. My era is going to be late summer 1935, a few years after most of the mining died out, at least according to the reference material I've read. Apparently the zinc/lead market mostly dried up after the end of WWI, at least for the mines in this region.

I chose the locale as a result of becoming very familiar with the area while driving through it quite often when I was first married, back in the early '90's. My wife and I lived in Russellville and took many a trip up highway 7 going back to visit her relatives in southern Missouri. It's a very secluded, mountainous area, exactly what I'm looking for. The RR will run south from a connection with the standard gauge Missouri & North Arkansas at Harrison, cross the Buffalo River, and travel on to Jasper. From there, it will spread out into the hills to pick up ore and timber. However, due to my relatively modest space the modeled area will be from just north of the Buffalo River crossing and into Jasper. I'll post a trackplan at a future date.

That's a little on the time and place for the Jasper & Southern RR. I'll go into more detail about the layout in my next post, and hopefully have some pics of a cleaned out RR room. Thanks for listening.

Wolfgang

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Valley RR
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 12:30:07 PM »
A room full with junk is a nice thing. I have to start with this too. But my start will be in October because until then I have to prepare something for the Convention in Rodgau. We will participate with our FREMO narrow gauge layout. So I'm busy with building my lumber yard for Salina.
But I did a lot of planing for my "Pueblo & Salt Lake RR".
Wolfgang
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR
The route from module to module

yrnmb

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:53:40 PM »
The good thing about the room is that a lot of the junk is modeling supplies, kits, track, etc. I've been accumulating HOn3 equipment for around 20 years. That doesn't mean I have hundreds of car kits and dozens of locos, as my budget has been pretty tight all those years. But now that I've finally found myself where I think I can settle down in one place for the forseeable future, and have the available space, I have enough equipment to put together a modest layout. The key piece has been an affordable, good-running locomotive, which Blackstone has finally supplied with their C-19's. I never really had the disposable income to go the brass route, and while I've purchased the MDC outside frame 2-8-0 and the two truck shay, they were both much bigger than I envison for my motive power needs. An unlettered Blackstone C-19 will fill the bill perfectly, and the 1:87 scale Ozark natives in Jasper will never know its based on a Colorado prototype.

Wolfgang, from your post, it sounds as if you'll be starting a totally new layout, is that correct? I've seen some of your modeling efforts on the web, and they are very inspirational. I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing your progress on your Pueblo & Salt Lake. It sounds interesting.

Wolfgang

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Valley RR
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 01:33:35 PM »
Wolfgang, from your post, it sounds as if you'll be starting a totally new layout, is that correct? I've seen some of your modeling efforts on the web, and they are very inspirational. I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing your progress on your Pueblo & Salt Lake. It sounds interesting.

Yes, this new layout will be in the room instead of my modular Silver Valley RR.
Wolfgang
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR
The route from module to module

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:58:42 PM »
Im jealous of everyone who has some space to build a layout.
Cant wait to see what you do with it and where your plan takes you.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

yrnmb

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:03:57 PM »
Im jealous of everyone who has some space to build a layout.
Cant wait to see what you do with it and where your plan takes you.

I know how you feel. I've been interested in model railroading since I was a kid (I'm now 50), and I'm just now at a point in my life where I can start an actual layout. But, I've been working at having a layout for many years now, collecting stuff, reading, and planning. I've probably built about a thousand layouts on paper!

yrnmb

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 11:55:31 PM »

Well, I've finally made a little progress. I moved out all the non-train related stuff (except for model cars, model ships, model planes, etc.) and can actually see the floor. Now I need to sort and organize what's left, then I can start building some benchwork. Hopefully, it won't be long now before I make some sawdust.