Author Topic: Blackstone Announcements  (Read 15068 times)

trevor_miller

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Blackstone Announcements
« on: September 16, 2011, 02:19:27 AM »
Don't know if anyone else has seen, Blackstone is doing another run of 3000 series box cars, 5500 stock cars and passenger cars. I'm intrigued by the passnger cars, another two in Pullman Green and a 3 car set of Red ones.

More info on their website.

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Blackstone Announcements
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »
Yawn!

Brasshat98

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Trolleys N' Dollies
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 12:48:31 AM »
The significance of the 3000 series box cars and the 5500 series stock cars is their price. There has been a $30 price increase over the price of the last run of these cars. So much for relatively inexpensive RTR HOn3 rolling stock......Mysteriously, the price of the new Passenger cars is the same as the first run.

Tom Meyer
Trolleys N' Dollies

PS: 2nd run of Tank Cars began shipping to dealers on Thursday, Sept. 22. They should be in Dealer hands early next week. We have extra weathered cars.

NGPhil

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:04:57 AM »
Personally, I can't justify the price of their rolling stock.  I don't model D&RGW which might sway my willingness to fork over the cash for these cars.  Also though, I'm a kit builder and scratch builder at heart and I can't help but think about how many Labelle or Rail line cars I could build for the price of one of their RTR rolling stock.  I love the EBT, but there is no way I would pay $60 for a single EBT hopper.

I think this is something we're going to see more and more of with manufacturers who have their products made in China.  Prices in China have gone up.  Way up.  Due to multiple reasons.  Personally, I can't justify spending all this money to support China's economy and workforce.  At least the Labelle kits are made right here in the good ol USA.  I think now, more than ever, we need to support local economy.

No offense to those in other countries and no slight to the quality of products BS has brought to market.
Phil Light

yrnmb

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
Personally, I can't justify the price of their rolling stock.  I don't model D&RGW which might sway my willingness to fork over the cash for these cars.  Also though, I'm a kit builder and scratch builder at heart and I can't help but think about how many Labelle or Rail line cars I could build for the price of one of their RTR rolling stock.  I love the EBT, but there is no way I would pay $60 for a single EBT hopper.

This mirrors my feelings exactly. I'm very glad Blackstone has released the RTR rolling stock and excellent engines, but I don't model the D&RGW, plus I don't have the disposable income to buy the rolling stock if I did. However, I did bite the bullet and buy an unlettered C-19, so I'd have a great running, relatively inexpensive engine for my freelanced RR.

I applaud BS for what they're doing, as hopefully RTR equipment will make it easier for people to get into HOn3 and help ensure future product availability for us all.

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 12:50:45 AM »
The price for one of their boxcars has doubled in a year.

Yikes!

Either there is some serious currency issues going on, or BS is trying to find how elastic the HOn3 RTR rolling stock market is.

Either way, it's no more Blackstone cars for me, maybe Grandt line will put their kits back into production?

trevor_miller

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 02:02:05 AM »
While I do agree that their prices are very steep I still feel that they are worth it. In terms of quality and level of detail, I am prepared to pay a higher premium than one would expect of some standard guage cars with far less detail and accuracy.

Also one must take into account that with narrow gauge you dont need such a large fleet of cars as those modelling the modern eras.

Having said that, I do feel that they [Blackstone] are pushing the boundary here. These things went from being relatively affordable to obscenely expensive in the span of a year.

Wolfgang

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Valley RR
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 07:35:32 AM »
I think it's not Blackstone. It's the China market. They have rised their prices. It willl not take long and other - with made in China - will have to follow.
Perhaps they go in the next time to India ??? With all those starting problems..... like oil .

Wolfgang
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR
The route from module to module

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 01:24:14 PM »
I think a lot of it's a competition factor too. The DSD market is highly competitive, thus the Tsunami has remained priced competitively for years. Blackstone quite simply has no competition in the HOn3 market. Part of this is the size of the market, but I think the market is there to support some competition.

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 08:11:19 AM »
I think a lot of it's a competition factor too. The DSD market is highly competitive, thus the Tsunami has remained priced competitively for years. Blackstone quite simply has no competition in the HOn3 market. Part of this is the size of the market, but I think the market is there to support some competition.

Post of the day!

Mark

trevor_miller

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 01:53:18 AM »
I agree there's no competition so Blackstone owns the market. The problem is that if things become too expensive modelers just aren't going to buy the stuff and then the RTR market is going to be open to another competitor or even worse simply vanish. So its not in their best interest to make things too pricey.

NGPhil

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 06:21:50 AM »
I think there might be a little bit of greed involved, but I think more than anything this is due to what's been happening in China.  Their wages have gone way up to the point that they're outsourcing parts and even assembly to Korea and even some of the other developing nations in southeast asia and India.   There are some other hierarchical issues at play between these manufacturers and the US is now competing with other countries for getting models made.  A lot of this stuff has just gone down in the past year.  Should be interesting to see what happens to other manufacturer's prices.
Phil Light

sport474

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 10:30:24 AM »
A lot of it has to do with economies of scale. I worked as a technical publications and training coordinator at Hewlett-Packard's ScanJet scanner division. When we started making scanners, they cost nearly $2000. You can get one now that is a lot bettter than that one for about $100. Part of it was moving manufacturing to Asia, but part of it comes from the fact that you can buy scanners everywhere now whereas when we started making them in 1989, they were a speciality item.

If there were enough HOn3s, you would probably see Blackstone being sold in Walmart. Don't think that will ever happen. The market for narrow gauge models is also spread between Fn3, On3, Sn3, HOn3 and whatever-n3.

Jerry Day
Longmont, CO

railtwister

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »

A similar thing has happened in On30, where Bachmann owns the market. When the On30 freight cars were first released they were selling for $10-$12, by 2001, they were $25, and in the 2011 catalog they are $39 or more, and the street prices seem to have risen by a disproportionately higher percentage.

Seems to me MicroTrains still makes HOn3 cars (and aren't they also made in the USA?), aren't they at least some competition for Blackstone?

Bill in FL
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 12:16:57 PM by railtwister »

Wolfgang

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Valley RR
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 01:14:08 PM »
Compare a MicroTrain car with a Blackstone car. I think there's a difference! Thus the difference in price too.

Wolfgang
Pueblo & Salt Lake RR
The route from module to module