Author Topic: Blackstone Announcements  (Read 15067 times)

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Blackstone Announcements
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 04:21:11 PM »
I'm gonna check with Blackstone on Monday.  Btw, which road used the Russian iron blue color?
Mark

swissboy

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »
........  Btw, which road used the Russian iron blue color?
Mark

That's what I'd like to know too. Maybe you can ask BS about that as well.
Robert

ChrisS

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 06:22:14 PM »
I'm gonna check with Blackstone on Monday.  Btw, which road used the Russian iron blue color?
Mark

I believe all of the Class 70s were built with Russia Iron boilers.  I'm not sure when they disappeared (I imagine gradually between the turn of the century and WWI), but the material was certainly used on the D&RG and RGW/D&RGW (Utah).  The Class 70s would also be at least good starting places for some F&CC and SN locomotives which also wore Russia Iron boiler jacketing.  The RGS acquired #40 and #41 in 1916, so I would imagine they had black boilers by then but I'm not sure.  Maybe Jerry knows?

In any event, the bluish hue of Russia Iron is a major trademark of turn-of-the-century locomotives and was very common throughout Western narrow gauge lines.  In my opinion, and I don't believe I'm alone, Russia Iron boilers are one of the most aesthetically pleasing features of this era.  To me, this announcement from Blackstone is the most exciting thing to happen in HOn3 since...well, ever.  I expect TOC interest will pick up dramatically.

ChrisS

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2011, 06:26:40 PM »
Here's a Fred Jukes photo of a group of locomotives in Chama in 1908: http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/72150/rec/3.  D&RG #401 (later C-19 #341, I believe), is front and center.  This is the lettered early locomotive that Blackstone will be producing, although it will be a slightly later version than pictured (straight-top tender rather than the flare shown, and some other differences).  A very nice view of turn-of-the-century narrow gauge, which will soon be considerably easier to model.

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 11:04:10 PM »
........  Btw, which road used the Russian iron blue color?
Mark

That's what I'd like to know too. Maybe you can ask BS about that as well.

I did.

swissboy

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »

.........To me, this announcement from Blackstone is the most exciting thing to happen in HOn3 since...well, ever.  .......

I'd say the fact that Blackstone started their HOn3 line of fine models is way more exciting if we look at any rankings in a historical perspective.

One question I have regarding Russian Iron: How come this elicits such excitement when we don't really know how it looked at the time? Or are there genuine survivors that give a good impression? I just remember the "green boiler" discussions in this context. And Russian Iron dates back quite a bit more.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:22:01 PM by swissboy »
Robert

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 08:57:31 PM »

.........To me, this announcement from Blackstone is the most exciting thing to happen in HOn3 since...well, ever.  .......

I'd say the fact that Blackstone started their HOn3 line of fine models is way more exciting if we look at any rankings in a historical perspective.

One question I have regarding Russian Iron: How come this elicits such excitement when we don't really know how it looked at the time? Or are there genuine survivors that give a good impression? I just remember the "green boiler" discussions in this context. And Russian Iron dates back quite a bit more.

I have one on order!
Mark

ChrisS

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 05:50:43 PM »

Sure there are survivors.  For narrow gauge examples, Eureka & Palisade 4-4-0 #4 is probably the best known.  Here she is on the D&SNG: http://www.steamphotos.com/Railroad-Photos/Durango-Silverton-EP4-Photos/14379726_xbRCtn#1065552584_cMRCo.

And the infamous discussions of the green boilers centers on the controversy about whether or not D&RGW locomotives were actually painted that way historically.  No one disputes that for many years Russia Iron was the mainstay for boiler jacketing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 02:38:00 AM by ChrisS »

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »

Sure there are survivors.  For narrow gauge examples, Eureka & Palisade 4-4-0 #4 is probably the best known.  Here she is on the C&TS: http://members.fortunecity.com/gknowles/proto/ep/ep_pix3.jpg.

And the infamous discussions of the green boilers centers on the controversy about whether or not D&RGW locomotives were actually painted that way historically.  No one disputes that for many years Russia Iron was the mainstay for boiler jacketing.

Link is dead!

pgandw

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »

One question I have regarding Russian Iron: How come this elicits such excitement when we don't really know how it looked at the time? Or are there genuine survivors that give a good impression?.....And Russian Iron dates back quite a bit more.

The problem with modeling Russian Iron is the same problem with modeling water.  It changes its appearance depending on lighting conditions and surrounding environment.  A fair portion of the Russian Iron "color" comes from reflecting ambient light.  How much reflection depends on how it is maintained.  However, Russian Iron was the deluxe boiler jacketing until US-made planished iron became readily available.  Then, eventually painting would take over when higher temperature paints and asbestos insulation became available.

Fred W

swissboy

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 03:24:11 PM »
Sure there are survivors.  For narrow gauge examples, Eureka & Palisade 4-4-0 #4 is probably the best known.  ..........And the infamous discussions of the green boilers centers on the controversy about whether or not D&RGW locomotives were actually painted that way historically.  No one disputes that for many years Russia Iron was the mainstay for boiler jacketing.

Thanks for clearing this up for me!
Robert

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »