Author Topic: K-28 #474  (Read 4863 times)

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
K-28 #474
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
In keeping with my Gunnison themed roster, I'm in the planning/ detail acquiring stages of modifying a westside model to match #474 as she appeared late 30's. I've gone through most of my books and have had a hard time finding any color shots of 474 from this era, or tender shots period.

Key points I am trying to determine:

1. Cylinder heads, some photos show entire face of the steam chest painted white (silver?), others just the cylinder heads as is the norm. When were they painted all white?

2. Doghouse, some photos show royal gorge/ moffat with doghouse, some without. (As an aside, did any K-28s used on the 3rd division have a doghouse while in royal gorge/moffat paint other than 474?)

3. Power reverse, I noticed the switching pilot, but no power reverse, did the requirement for power reverse on switching locomotives apply to the era 474 was used as a switching locomotive?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

sport474

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: K-28 #474
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 12:23:03 AM »
Jack:

I am writing a book on the Crested Butte branch for the Colorado RR Museum. I have about 30 photos of 474 as it is my favorite engine and I spent many, many hours with two engineers who ran her from 1923 until she went to Alaska.

1. Cylinder heads, some photos show entire face of the steam chest painted white (silver?), others just the cylinder heads as is the norm. When were they painted all white?

The trim on the engines was silver, not white...only the lettering was white. Photos of 474 in 39 show no silver cylinder heads, it was done during annual service in 1940.

2. Doghouse, some photos show royal gorge/ moffat with doghouse, some without. (As an aside, did any K-28s used on the 3rd division have a doghouse while in royal gorge/moffat paint other than 474?)

474 was one of the first to get the dog house due to being used only in freight service. The only other K-28s used in the late 30s was 472 and 479. 479 was the prime Shavano engine with 472 as backup and occassional use in helper and freight service. I have the exact dates on the dog houses, but the data is not handy....contact me via email.

3. Power reverse, I noticed the switching pilot, but no power reverse, did the requirement for power reverse on switching locomotives apply to the era 474 was used as a switching locomotive?

Power reverses were not applied to any of the K-28s until the 50s.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. 

sport474

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »

D&RGW 470 brakeman's cabin (dog house) applied January 1, 1941
D&RGW 471 brakeman's cabin applied January 1, 1940
D&RGW 472 brakeman's cabin applied January 1, 1942
D&RGW 473 brakeman's cabin applied January 1, 1941
D&RGW 474 brakeman's cabin applioed January 1, 1939
D&RGW 475 brakeman's cabin applied January 1, 1940
D&RGW 476 brakeman's cabin applied January 1, 1940
D&RGW 477 brakeman's cabin applied January 1, 1940
D&RGW 478 brakeman's cabin applied January 1, 1941
D&RGW 479 brakeman's cabin applied January 1, 1940

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 10:11:58 PM »
Wow, thanks! That just about takes care of everything.

I was hoping you'd chime in, I really appreciate it. It's great having knowledgeable folks on here.

Now it's off to browsing the PSC parts catalog and then the usual waiting game. The model I purchased is missing the pilot and trailing trucks, but I think the PSC parts will fit. The tender trucks on the model are all wrong though, PSC has those as well. The model has a power reverse, so I guess that will come off, it also needs the side number boards, pilot toolbox, and the usual repairing of loose details.

It didn't give a specific number this model represents on the box, but judging from the missing number boards and power reverse, I'm guessing this model is supposed to represent 473.

You wouldn't happen to have any information on whether 474 had a toolbox in the tender? This model has an inward sloping toolbox next to the doghouse.

Thanks again.

sport474

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:12:05 PM »
(You wouldn't happen to have any information on whether 474 had a toolbox in the tender? This model has an inward sloping toolbox next to the doghouse. )
I have about 25 photos of 474, but none show the tool box. Only 3 of the 25 are taken from the rear and the photographer was riding in the caboose of a 70 car train with 474 in the lead and 456 mid-train. The lead engine is too far away to see any detail.

Photographers of those days were not thinking of modeling when taking their photos. They usually had a limited amount of film and were mostly shooting action photos or roster shots of engines in the yards from the front.

I plan to have 474 in HOn3 when and if Blackstone does a model. I already have 456, so have half that train...now I just need about 55 more high side gons and 10 stock cars.

Jerry Day

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:48:36 AM »
Thanks again Jerry. It is unfortunate they weren't thinking of us modelers eh? Though I must admit, we are certainly fortunate to have as much film documentation as we do, thanks to forward thinking folks like Otto Perry, Kindig, Richardson, and historians such as yourself. I was keeping my fingers crossed BS would release a K-28, but I doubt I'll see one from them anytime soon. I found this model for a good price, so I figured what the heck, what's one more project?

I was examining a photo that shows some tender detail, and it looked like 474 had it's backup light on a raised platform, higher than the other k-28s. Is this true, or am I seeing things?

-Mike
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:06:02 AM by jackpine savage »

BobH

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 06:20:23 PM »
Not sure if this counts as evidence but P-B-L's model of #474 shows the tender as having a tool box next to the dog house.

sport474

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 11:20:36 AM »
474 had a tool box on the pilot.

Jerry Day