Author Topic: Group Challenge: Pennslyvania Logging Caboose  (Read 8475 times)

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Group Challenge: Pennslyvania Logging Caboose
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:35:22 AM »
My car for the Challenge will be a caboose based on this photo found on page 327 of Thomas Taber's "Ghost Lumber Towns of Central Pennsylvania" book. That book is No. 3 in the series: "Logging Railroad Era of Lumbering in Pennsylvania". I have established an e-mail relationship with Mr. Taber and the following photos are posted with his permission.

And a little more of a closeup.

First up will be to build a 26' flat car as the basis of the caboose.
Bruce

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Group Challenge: Pennslyvania Logging Caboose
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
Looks like an interesting build.

i like the look of that shacks in the background there to.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

NGPhil

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:34:26 AM »
Very cool!  I love that first shot! I grew up in that neighborhood (still live in PA too), so I'll be watching this with interest.  It's interesting looking at the PA logging RR history because it almost always involves a climax or heisler.  Too bad those buggers go for such big money when they show up on fleabay. 
Phil Light

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »
Thanks Adrian & Phil.

Phil, the Slate Run was a real logging railroad located a bit north and west of Williamsport in Lycoming County.  I picked it from the many logging railroads of PA for a number of reasons.  It was a 3 footer, it used a covered bridge, it was about the only logging railroad in PA to use a McGiffert log loader, and of course, the name is cool. ;D

As I build the railroad, I certainly want to include the covered bridge and I already have a McGiffert kit on the shelf.

Anyway, I've been going back and forth whether to use a 26' flat car or a 28' flat car as the basis of the caboose, so I decided to build both flat cars and then decide.

My approach to to draw simple plans on a piece of paper, lay down some double sided tape, and build the underframe right over the drawing.

Here are the two drawings for the current builds.

As you can see, I sometimes used scale lumber and sometimes I use dimensional lumber.  Either is fine with me, and I drew one of each type in case any members were wondering what size lumber to use when building an underframe.
Bruce

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:48:40 PM »
The plans you put up here have just helped me a fair bit.

I was wondering where to place my bolsters on my cars.
Hope i can get stuck into building my Jig tonight.
 What trucks do you normally use?
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:57:19 PM »
I'm glad that they helped, Adrian.

Trucks are a topic unto themselves.  I bought a bunch of pre-builts from a modeler leaving HOn3, so I'm not sure of their origins other than they are not Kadees.  Grandt-Line maybe?  Anyway, I have a number of Kadees to assemble, but haven't had the need yet.  I have some pre-built Kadees, but the wheel sets won't stay in place.  I don't know the problem.
Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 10:49:37 AM »
Here is where I am right now.  Both under frames are ready for some brake rigging.

Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:47:24 AM »
I'll use the 26' underframe for the caboose.  The brake rigging is now on.  Next will be the queen posts and truss rods.  At that point the underframe will be done and I can start on the decking.

Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 01:02:16 PM »
After making up a set of Kadee couplers, I test fit them and the trucks on the 26' frame.  It rides smoothly and is the proper height above the rails.

Now I'll take the trucks and couplers off, add the queen posts and truss rods, and make a jig to hold the frame while I continue the build.
Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »
I have finished the flat car portion of the caboose (NBW castings, queen posts, truss rods, decking).

Where you see the decking narrow is where the cabin of the caboose will sit.

Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »
Back a few pics you will remember that I was also building a 28' underframe.  Although I will not be using it for this challenge project, I did want to finish the brake rigging and test fit the trucks and couplers to see how it rode on the rails.

The brake rigging is now done -

and here she is sitting on the rails.

BTW, the photos showed some shine from the ACC that I used to attach the brake rigging, so I spread some clear flat PolyScale paint on everything.

Before I assembled the frame, while the side frames were flat on the bench, I drilled all the holes necessary to accept Tichy stake pockets. If I decide to make a flat car or gondola from this frame, the holes are there. If I decide to build something else, either the holes will be covered up or I will fill them with Squadron Putty and re-paint. Right now, the frame will be set aside.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:28:21 AM by Dutchman »
Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 10:22:32 AM »
Just a quick update.  The cabin for the caboose is complete and I've added my interior detailing.

Bruce

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 10:18:22 AM »
Well, I finished my caboose yesterday.

Bruce

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile