Author Topic: Group Challenge: 0580 series long caboose  (Read 10294 times)

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
Group Challenge: 0580 series long caboose
« on: January 20, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
I didn't forget! I just got busy with another project, building benchwork. (that's for a different thread!)

I'm trying to assemble a roster that resembles that used on the D&RGW Third Division in the late '30s. The peaked roof 0580 series seems to be the most common type according to photographs from the era. Currently, all HOn3 kits and RTR cabooses are for either the shorties, or the "class 5" round roof. SO for this project I plan on using a grandt line 30' flatcar kit as a starting point. Now I realize building the frame isn't the most difficult thing, but I acquired a whole lot of the 30' flat kits a while back, and thus have far more than I would ever need, I figure using that as a solid foundation would speed construction, and allow me to get to the "fun parts" more quickly. So this will be a kit built frame with a scratch built body, and maybe interior if I have time. I'm starting my spring semester this Monday, so I want to be careful not to bite off more than I can finish before the deadline.

0586 is my target number right now, as I like the look of the single copula window. Most were changed to two windows in the 40's, but 586 wasn't, so there are more photos available of her with a single window.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:51:56 PM by jackpine savage »

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Group Challenge: 0580 series long caboose
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 12:50:56 AM »
Sweet!

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:52:41 PM »
Looks like its going to be a fun project
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:04:54 PM »
A worthy subject for modeling, Jackpine.  Building the little cupola and getting the window openings cut in can be a challenge unto themselves. :)

I did one on a little caboose I scratch built last winter.  I think I gave some tips on page 5 of my Slate Run RR thread.  http://hon3forums.com/index.php?topic=18.60  If you scan down that page you see how I cut the walls of the cupola apart to form the window openings and then glued them back together.

Bruce

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »
Well, I made progress, the frame is complete. I decided to make my own frame, instead of wasting a flat car kit, and printed up a template to help me lay it out. The dimensions are correct, but it ended up a bid warped. I'm hoping it will straighten out sufficiently when I glue the floor on.

The frame is made of 4x8 HO scale styrene, the end sills are 6x10 notched with grandt coupler pockets and grandt bolsters.

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 06:30:40 PM »
Nice start.  That warp should come out okay during the build (I say hopefully).
Bruce

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:05:31 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the cupola windows, Dutchman.

I seem to recall a set of 90 deg corner punches sold by micro-mark to punch out window and door openings. Has anyone tried these or seen them used?

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »
I have one of those corner punches, and it will work, but often is too big (legs on each side of the 90 degree angle too long) for the small windows in a little HOn3 caboose.
Bruce

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 01:38:17 AM »
I decided to drill the corners for the windows. I cut my sides, made a template, drilled and cut the windows, mounted Durango Press castings, and sat back to admire my work.

Awww crap.

Now I have to make two cabooses. Anyone else see a problem here? LOL!

bullbrauch

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 01:56:07 AM »
Call it a Happy Happinstance ;D
Brandan

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »
Or at least 1.5 cabeese. :)

I've done similar things.  You can check my spare parts box for examples.
Bruce

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »
Well, she's starting to look more like a caboose. The castings for the cupola end windows were too small for this particular prototype, so I filed out the frame to enlarge the opening. They are still slightly shorter than the prototype, but they look pretty close now.

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 09:13:55 AM »
Well, she's starting to look more like a caboose.

She is indeed, Jackpine.
Bruce

bullbrauch

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 11:52:44 PM »
Looking great!  Keep it coming.
Brandan

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »
Well, I totally missed the deadline, but I'm still plugging away. This project ended up being a lot more difficult than I thought it would be, mainly due to my repeated screw-ups. I've decided to forget about any interior. I'll add lighted marker lamps and just end 'er there.

I made the distinctive tar and burlap roof covering with regular copy paper. The subroof is .010" styrene, I cut and glued the copy paper to the roof with a little bit of overhang, then creased the overhang down over the edges with a toothpick. Then I doped the paper with thin CA to harden it, like model airplane guys do. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Only details left are brake rigging.