Author Topic: Group Challenge: 0580 series long caboose  (Read 7793 times)

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Group Challenge: 0580 series long caboose
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »
It is looking better with every post, JackPine.  Any notes you can provide as you add the marker lights would be appreciated!
Bruce

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 06:28:26 PM »
Here is the anti-flicker/keep-alive circuit I made up for the marker lights. I used a TCS 2 function decoder. I prefer TCS function decoders because they come equipped with a common ground. This eliminates the need to unwrap it and poke around for a common grounding point. The blue function positive wire runs to the capacitor positive, and the voltage regulator positive in. The voltage regulator reduces the voltage to the lights to about 6 volts. Since the capacitor is operating at about 12 volts, this prevents the lights from immediately dimming when power is interrupted. Once the voltage in the capacitor decays below 6 volts, the lights go out. The voltage regulator positive out connects to the led anode, and the negative function wires are connected to cathode as usual. The marker lights are by Tomar, I just replaced the bulbs with micro LEDs. One side note on the capacitor, a 100 ohm resistor and a diode are connected in parallel on the positive terminal. The diode's anode is connected to the capacitor positive to allow current to flow out without resistance, but the current in is slowed. This prevents a temporary "short-circuit" situation. The capacitor negative is connected to the common ground.

The brake gear except the cylinder is built from styrene. rods and strips.

The caboose was pained with floquil acrylics, and lettered with a combination of Thinfilm, Microscale, and San Juan decals. Trucks are Blackstone, and couplers are Sargents as required for interchange by the FRA.  ;D

A comparison between a Blackstone round-roof, and the new peaked roof. Marker lights on.

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »
If you can recognize the problem in the second image of the previous post, you can understand my consternation when the decoder failed to initially respond! Fortunately it was a quick fix!

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 06:37:53 PM »
About a month late, buy hey, better late than never! Batey! Where are you at man? :)

Bernd

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »
If you can recognize the problem in the second image of the previous post, you can understand my consternation when the decoder failed to initially respond! Fortunately it was a quick fix!

You had all the insulated wheels on one side. Been there, done that and had the frustration.  ;)

Bernd

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 12:37:32 AM »
Yeah, this caboose was a real "character builder".  If you get my drift.. ;D

ChrisS

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 05:53:17 PM »
Really a fantastic job on this build - the caboose looks great.  Have you thought about entering it in any contests?  I should think it would do quite well.

jackpine savage

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 12:16:21 PM »
Thanks Chris, maybe someday.