Author Topic: Anyone model freelance Eastern NG?  (Read 3143 times)

WVMNut

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Anyone model freelance Eastern NG?
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »
Seems to me everyone models Western stuff. I prefer EBT and ET&WNC and Mann's Creek and the other Eastern lines. When I found out that my favorite standard gauge line interchanged with a narrow gauge line, I set out to learn something about it. Now I model an idealized West Virginia Midland, perhaps the road it might have become had the Webster Springs hotel not burned, set in the 1950s.

Anyone do any freelance Eastern stuff?

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone model freelance Eastern NG?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
My Slate Run RR is based on a Pennsylvania logging theme.  The name is real, it was  a three footer, and I will included a few structures that I was able to research.  However, much of the rest will be freelanced.  The majority of motive power will be brass or scratch built and I have been scratch building rolling stock with an eastern flavor.
Bruce

WVMNut

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:56 AM »
Yeah, I've seen your work Dutch, nice. I need to get some boxcars and flats myself from cousin EBT. We're not all that big though, so a few will suffice.

ChrisS

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »
Vagel is building a beautiful freelanced HO/HOn3 layout set in Pennsylvania - he posts on here occasionally but more often on Railroad Line.

WVMNut

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:24:57 AM »
I should have known The Major would be here. I know Vagel, a great guy. I lived in Pittsburgh for years. He's got his new layout up now. I've only seen a few pics of it, but the Blacklog & Shade Gap Eastern is one of my all time favorites.

BRR1

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
I'm doing a freelance eastern NG, the Broad River Railroad, based on ET&WNC, Lawndale RR, and the standard gauge Cliffside RR of North Carolina.  It's a common carrier, mainly hauling material and finished goods to and from the textile mills that dotted the part of NC that I'm setting it in.

Mike

WVMNut

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:22:15 AM »
Have some photos? Always lookin for good ideas.  ;D

BRR1

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »
Not yet.  I'm handlaying track and am just getting back up to speed in HOn3 after a long detour in modern N-scale.  I'll post photos later on once I have some stuff worth looking at.

Bernd

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »
Well hopefully I can start on a layout some time in the near future. I had orginally planned for a large railroad for my 2300sq ft. basement. Right now it's full of treasures that have followed me home over the last 12 years.

Here's what the basemement looked like when I started to do the cabinets for the house.

A quick Reader Digest version of the house. I had it roughed in, when the windows, roof, and gutters were installed I started to do all the plumbing, heating, and electrical work. I then had a guy come and dry wall everything. I then started to get the rooms done to be able to move in. After 12 years I'm still not finished. So layout building is taken a back seat to house building.

Out of that 2300 sq. ft. I used 9' X 16' for a small shop. LINK

Ok I'm wandering off topic here. The layout I had planned was going to be based on two prototype railroads that ran in my neck of the woods. The Lehigh Valley and the Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburg RR (this became part of the B & O in later years) The system would run from the coal mines in the states of KY, TN, WVa, VA, PA, north to NY, VT, NH, ME. The line was to run coal to the north and wood and paper products to the south. The coal was going to be mined in one of the southern states and transported via narrow gauge (ala EBT) to a standard gauge transfer. It would then be brought up north via the standard gauge to ports north. The portion I was going to model would have been a coal mine using narrow gauge rail to the standard gauge transfer. I had orginally desinged the layout to start in Salamaca, NY. The line would follow that line north to Caladoina Jct, NY and then follow the LV tracks to Rochester Jct. From here I was going to model the two branch lines that went north to Rochester, NY. and south to Hemlock Lake, NY. The line would follow the LV north in to the city of Rochester were it would then run the rochester transist sytem along the Genesse River north to Charlotte. There the B,R, & P (B & O) had a coal dock. This was the concept I had in mind and wanted to model. After years of dreaming about that railroad I realized how big it would be and that I'd probably never get it built. So it sat on the back burner. When I finally did get some room in my junk filled basement the On30 bug had bitten me and I had started a layout in that scale. I'm still going to keep modeling in that scale, plus I'm going to build the HO/HOn3 layout also, but a much smaller version. I have drawn a track plan in a cad program of the HOn3 mine complex. It's based on a part of a layout back in Model Railroader many years ago. I still plan on modeling Rochester Jct and the north branch into Rochester, plus a coal dock at the mouth of the Genesse River.

That's about as much as I have right now, is a picture in my mind of what I want. I plan on building the major portions as modules. This seems about the only way I'll get anything done. And here's something that I haven't seen anybody do, I plan on modeling the narrow gauge as an electric line using heavy juice jacks (electric locomotives) ala Norfolk and Western, Pennsy & Virginin Rwy.

I think that is quite freelanced, what do you think?

Regards,
bernd