Author Topic: New HOn3 track!  (Read 2553 times)

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
New HOn3 track!
« on: May 12, 2012, 06:20:38 PM »
"NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT!
ProtoTraxx™ HOn3 Snap track!

We are truly excited to announce that Blackstone Models will be offering our
very own snap-together track with integrated roadbed!
Blackstone Models has designed the first pieces of a complete track system
specifically for HOn3

We've chosen to design our system around the familiar Kato Uni-Joiner for a
simple-to-put-together, reliable track system than can be enjoyed and
appreciated by beginners or seasoned modelers alike. Our friends at Kato have
proven over the years that their Uni-Joiner is both robust and electrically
reliable.

The first pieces to be released include 228mm straights (approximately 9") and
480mm radius curves (approximately 19"). Each piece will have one Uni-Joiner at
each end. Ties have been textured, painted and scaled appropriately for HOn3.
The rail is code 70 nickel-silver. This is just the initial stage in developing
a complete system; we expect to announce the first switches a bit later in the
year.

Though it is not common to announce advance reservations for track, we will be
taking pre-orders to help us gauge our purchase quantities. The straights will
be packaged in sets of four, as will the curves. Four packs of curves (4 in a
pkg.) results in a 360 degree circle. To make things easier for stocking and for
customers, we'll also offer a Starter Pack that includes 16 pieces of 480mm
curved track, 4 pieces of 228mm straights and one Power Joiner with 3 feet of
wire.

Delivery is expected in Fall 2012.
We hope to have these first pieces in stock by Fall of 2012 and in plenty of
time for the holiday season. Track is the perfect Christmas gift - pre-order now
to make sure you have plenty in stock when you need it!
P.N. Description MSRP
B500100 4-Pack, 228mm Straights (9") $18.25
B500200 4-Pack, 480mm radius curves (19") $18.25
B500900 Starter Set, 4 Straights, 16 Curves $89.95

You can see a photo of the pre-production sample (which they say "First shot
samples! Ties are not yet painted and some small modifications will be made for
better fit, but we are well on our way!" at our Facebook page

www.facebook.com/NarrowGaugeAnnuals"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 06:23:29 PM by SundayNiagara »

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: New HOn3 track!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:24:44 PM »
Can't wait to get my hands on some of that track! A great solution untill I have the room and time to build my own layout. Only problem is it doesn't come out untill fall 2012. Oh well only 6 months.....
Enjoy,
Blake

TwoKatz

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:25:52 PM »
The track looks awsome...There was a photo on Facebook page...
Kevin MacPherson
HOn3

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
I ordered an oval on Saturday with the idea of building a temporary switching/timesaver when the switches are released.

WVMNut

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:06:50 PM »
Searched the page, no pic. Did they take it down?

railtwister

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:52 PM »
WVMNut,

The pictures are still there, I just looked. See: <http://www.blackstonemodels.com/track/protraxx.php> . Choosing Kato to do the track was a good choice, because their Unitrack line in HO and N scale is an excellent product. Tillig has even contracted with Kato to make a similar product line for TT scale. That said, the perfectly formed, raised ballast and exactly aligned ties looks more like Pennsy mainline than any narrow gauge track I've ever seen. And the price Blackstone is showing (at over $4.50 for a 9-3/4" section of track, straight or curved) is stupid expensive, to say the least. I shudder to think what a turnout will cost. While it may be useful for anyone wanting a test track that can be knocked down and put away, I don't see this product as being very useful for serious narrow gauge modeling, and I rather doubt that this line will be a big mover. Maybe Blackstone is planning to put out a narrow gauge train set, but I'm not sure that's a very marketable approach either.

Bill in FtL

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 09:05:56 AM »
Absolutely correct, Grumpy Bill.  This stuff is for first time buyers and people like myself who want to build a small switching layout/test track.  There is plenty of info out there on how to build a layout using flex, or build your own track and commercially made or build your own turnouts.  I see this Blackstone track as useful to the hobby.

railtwister

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 09:48:56 PM »
Sorry S-N,

While it's good that you find the product useful and will buy enough track to build yourself a test oval, do you really think that will translate into enough sales to justify the tooling costs of producing the track in the first place? I would submit that even if everyone who has bought a BS HOn3 K-27 and/or a C19 were to buy a track set like you plan to do, those numbers still won't justify the production costs. As for snap track (and HOn3 train sets), how many beginning model railroaders jump right into HOn3? Most folks who have HOn3 equipment have come to the scale either from HO standard gauge or another scale, and are not likely to be classed as beginners. The place where I see this product having any real sales potential is maybe in Japan, where just like the Kato N & HO Unitrack, it will be sold to modelers looking to build temporary layouts where they can run trains, and then dismantle the track and put it in a box on the shelf or under the bed. I really don't know what the market for HOn3 is in Japan, but I would expect it to be somewhat limited compared to N or HO scales, much like it is in the USA. I have heard that there are commercial train layouts in Japan, where modelers can rent track time to run their trains, much like slot cars in this country 40 years ago.

I only hope that the cost of producing theHOn3 Unitrack doesn't tie up BS's development capital that will slow down the production of other new items. 

Bill in FtL

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 09:03:28 AM »
Grumpy Bill:
You could help out by getting into HOn3!
Mark

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 09:03:01 PM »
Sorry S-N,

While it's good that you find the product useful and will buy enough track to build yourself a test oval, do you really think that will translate into enough sales to justify the tooling costs of producing the track in the first place? I would submit that even if everyone who has bought a BS HOn3 K-27 and/or a C19 were to buy a track set like you plan to do, those numbers still won't justify the production costs. As for snap track (and HOn3 train sets), how many beginning model railroaders jump right into HOn3? Most folks who have HOn3 equipment have come to the scale either from HO standard gauge or another scale, and are not likely to be classed as beginners. The place where I see this product having any real sales potential is maybe in Japan, where just like the Kato N & HO Unitrack, it will be sold to modelers looking to build temporary layouts where they can run trains, and then dismantle the track and put it in a box on the shelf or under the bed. I really don't know what the market for HOn3 is in Japan, but I would expect it to be somewhat limited compared to N or HO scales, much like it is in the USA. I have heard that there are commercial train layouts in Japan, where modelers can rent track time to run their trains, much like slot cars in this country 40 years ago.

I only hope that the cost of producing theHOn3 Unitrack doesn't tie up BS's development capital that will slow down the production of other new items. 

Bill in FtL

As you saw today, Bill, Blackstone/Kato did a nice job on this track and the sections, as you tried, connected with a solid click.  I didn't pick mine up today, but am wondering if anyone else did and what you have to say about it.
Mark

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 10:13:50 PM »
I didn't purchase any, but I did take a look at the track at my local hobby shop. I was totally impressed with the quality of the track. If i wasn't starting building a layout, I would buy alot of it!
Enjoy
Blake

Brasshat98

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Trolleys N' Dollies
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 05:53:06 PM »
     Trolleys N' Dollies just received our first shipment of ProTraxx track from Blackstone. Please check our website, www.trolleysndollies.com for details and ordering. We have Starter sets, as well as extra straights and curves. The latest run of Gramps Tank cars are also here.

Tom Meyer
Trolleys N' Dollies
2321 Kumquat Dr
Edgewater, FL 32141
(386) 428-1676
Email: info@trolleysndollies.com

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
Any reports as to how this stuff works in practical use?

customnscaler

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 07:32:25 PM »
This track is great! Good stuff!