Author Topic: Progress On My Layout  (Read 3944 times)

JohnB

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Progress On My Layout
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:18:28 PM »
I've found that I tend to make more progress on my layout when I post photos -- they help me to back off and see what needs to be done. I have an HOn3 line that runs point to point and shares the HO main line part way on dual gauge trackage a la D&RGW.

Here's a photo of the basic trackage and roughed-in scenery at one end of the line. The track plan is based loosely on the end of the Anthracite branch out of Crested Butte on the D&RGW, discussed in the Dorman Salida book. This is basically a main, siding, and a covered turntable at the end of the line. I added an extra siding, because it looked to me as if the prototype was switched by gravity, and a couple of spurs for operating interest.

The covered turntable, which you can see without the cover, is an Atlas with HOn3 track mounted on top. Since it will have a wooden, snowshed style cover, the ugliness won't matter. The photo shows the area as it was in August of last year. I'll post some updates soon.

I've learned enough about posting here now to see that you can click on the image for a larger view, or if that doesn't work, right-click on the image and then click on "open in new tab".
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:21:38 PM by JohnB »

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Progress On My Layout
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »
One thing about those Atlas turntables, John, is that they function reliably.  As you said, it will be covered anyway.  Good thinking.
Bruce

sport474

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 02:10:54 AM »
A bit of history on the Anthracite branch (I am writing a book on the Crested Butte branch for the Colorado RR Museum). The turntable never was used for a K class engine. The turntable was not used after 1917 according to an engineer who ran the Crested Butte switch engine during that period. The line could not support K-27s or K-28s until 1923 when it was relaid with heavy rail. The mine at Anthracite shut down in 1929 and trains did not run past the Peanut mine except in the summer to haul out slack coal. The Pershing Mine shut down in 1928 and after that only the Peanut Mine continue to ship coal. The trains on the branch had to back down to Crested Butte. The normal yard switcher at Crested Butte (also made runs on the Floresta and Anthracite branch) was C-18 number 317.

Of course we all can do our models as we wish and a covered turntable is neat. The pit and center mounting for the turntable was still there in the 70s.

Jerry Day
Longmont, CO
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:13:20 AM by sport474 »

JohnB

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »
Jerry, that's definitely useful information -- actually, I think the Floresta branch is even more interesting, but I was looking for a very simple plan for the space I had. I see that such a line could be operated with the loco backing just as easily.

JohnB

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »
Here are two photos showing current progress. The first is a little nearer to the viewpoint in the photo in my first post. The second is more or less behind the viewpoint of the first-post photo, looking toward the line out of town.

Consistent with the very loose Anthracite prototype, the main industry here is a coal mine. I used the old Pola/AHM mine, since it's a Western US/Canada style anyhow and is somewhat similar to the mines at places like Crested Butte and Porter. It occurred to me that even though the distressing of the wood on the mine is pretty extreme, there are guys who'd pay hundreds of dollars and spend many hours to get the same effect with a big-box kit. Me, I got it cheap on sale at Walthers.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:24:55 PM by JohnB »

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 05:21:03 PM »
John, the Pola/Ahm mine looks good.  Yup, you don't have to spend a fortune to have fun in the hobby.  Is that an Atlas water tank in the background?
Bruce

JohnB

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 06:19:12 PM »
No, it's a wood one I found at a swap meet a long time ago. It may be an old Timberline kit. It's suffered over the years and needs a couple of new posts and a ladder, along with weathering, although I did repaint it.

JohnB

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 02:02:13 PM »
Here's a photo of my Blackstone 453 with a West Side Models brass caboose. I added a figure outside the tender doghouse, as films show the brakeman often rode outside in good weather. I added crew figures in the cab, which you can't see. Also a Rio Grande Models water bag.

ChrisS

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »
Looks really nice John!

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »
Figures and details add a lot to a loco, John.  Nice.
Bruce