Author Topic: Tourist / Preserved Railroad Shelf style small layout  (Read 5415 times)

Loco Chris

• Yardman
    • View Profile
    • Loco Chris's photos
Tourist / Preserved Railroad Shelf style small layout
« on: April 08, 2013, 02:47:41 AM »
Hi all I have made a start with the layout only have a small space so no grande floor to roof scenic's, Its a shelf type layout L shaped along 2 walls of my small train room 1foot by 8 foot along each wall giving 16 foot total.
The theme is a tourist railroad that runs out and back between two yards the first yard is the railroads main yard with 3 track yard with loco release at the end a depot building in the centre of the yard tracks, a turn table with part of a round house and two storage spurs for the coaches, the turn table is to be mounted at the front edge and will turn with part of the table over the edge when making a full turn giving enough space for tracks behind the table and giving room for 3 to 4 stall round house at the end of the layout.
The second yard or the end of the line is also a 3 loop yard the track on this section is almost all curved, this gives a look that makes it look longer I have also curved most of the track in the main yard for the same reason the curve that joins the two yards at the mid point of the L will be given a scenic view block that will give two seperate scenic areas posibly a rock cut with tree line.
At the end of the line the track will be made so that if I take the layout to a show I can add a staging/fiddle yard on the end, to hide the end of the line, at this point I will install a large water tower and have a lot of trees lining the sides of the railroad I like the fall look with the amber leaves on trees etc so this is the look I will be looking for.
I use the "Easy DCC" by cvp and most of the locos are Blackstone with Blackstone rolling stock
I will try to load pics of work so far but a pre apology if you see no pics at the moment have never had much luck up loading pictures to forums have also had to make them so small that the quality may be poor to get down to the limit for site.

links below 1st one is video on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74212179@N05/8631093606/
www.flickr.com/photos/74212179@N05/8631093606/in/photostream

www.flickr.com/photos/74212179@N05/8629929761/in/photostream

Happy modeling to all
Chris
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:15:31 AM by Loco Chris »
Happy Model Railroading
Chris

my flickr photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/74212179@N05/

Loco Chris

• Yardman
    • View Profile
    • Loco Chris's photos
Tourist / Preserved Railroad Shelf style small layout
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:14:23 AM »
All track testing is done have been running trains up an down for a few weeks with no faults or derailments I also came up with a train order system to make it more than just running back and forth with all rolling stock having a different car numbers, you can form up car sets for the tourist trains with a random draw card for the daily load and the number of trains required or charter specials or demonstration freight etc it has all worked well and the blackstone locos and rolling stock are performing great, so I am about to start on the scenic's on the end of line loop's section, I have sourced over 100 trees of different sizes and fall season foliage colors and have got lots of different colors of static grass to try from an Australian scenic's company (Aussie scenic's) they do a kit with a static grass applicator etc at a very reasonable price will know soon if it works? will put up some photos on my flickr link as work progresses.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:58:24 AM by Loco Chris »
Happy Model Railroading
Chris

yrnmb

Re: Tourist / Preserved Railroad Shelf style small layout
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 12:55:54 PM »
That's looking really good Chris. I have to say I really like your idea of placing the turntable at the edge of the layout. I've never seen that done. I may have to revisit my most recent version of my future layout and see if doing something similar would be beneficial. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »
Looking good Chris. Interesting idea to do a tourist road and really like the turntable idea on the edge.
If you want to post your images into your posts click on the insert image button
That will give you the image tabs [img ]insert the image URL here[ /img] (without the spaces).
Then in your Flickr just click on the Share at the top of your photo to copy the URl and post it beweetn the tabs.
Hope it helps. Cheers

Ps extreamly jealous of the space. I can only dream of what a cool logging line i could fit in the L shape.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

Loco Chris

• Yardman
    • View Profile
    • Loco Chris's photos
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »
Hi thanks for the comments.
 I have now made a start on the scenic's this little layout was all about trying new things for the sub base I have used expanding foam (space invader) made up a basic mold and spray it in when set used a razor saw to trim some of the excess and have put on a layer of sculpta mold see pics with some of the trees placed its easy as they can just be pushed into the foam then take some photos to see if what was in my mined for the scene works then I will remove trees and use the photos to replace them when I finish the ground cover and the rock face has been finished etc
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/74212179@N05/8756635597/in/photostream/

I fined that you need to put the trains back into the scene to get the full effect of size/scale

[imghttp://farm4.staticflickr.com/3759/8756637267_5a2923972c.jpg]http://[/img]

I'm finding this this little project fun and as it is quite small,I should be able to get to some stage of looking like a finished layout quickly as with only a one foot wide scenic area it should not require as much time to complete each section or as much scenic material = more money in the budget for another loco maybe. :) 

Adrian my room is only 9 X 10 foot but I have shoe horned 3 layouts in on 3 levels Lower level is the On30 module that I displayed at the NMRA convention last year then the Hon3 L shaped Layout and up top at eye level for a 6 foot tall person is a HO layout that runs around the room via the bulitin wardrobe with the storage tracks inside the builtin wardrobe I use this layout to just run trains around it has minimal scenic's
 also thanks for the how to on linking photos

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:10:29 AM by Loco Chris »
Happy Model Railroading
Chris

yrnmb

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 12:48:10 PM »
Really nice work. It's surprising just how much scenery and railroad you can get in a foot deep scene. Keep up the good work!

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 07:18:27 PM »
Amazing what a few trees and some landform can do to the feel of an area. Ive never had much interest in anything other then logging but when i see how quick a layout can come together with RTR stoc and track makes me think i should look for a different prototype haha.

Ive always thought i would end up with an uper and lower decked layouts. Im looking for a house over the next 6 to 12 months and the "Train room" or a big "workshop" is a must. With any luck in 18 months time i might have something like yours to share.

Anyway waiting for the next instalment  :D
Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 06:52:59 PM »
Hey Chris, Any update on this layout?
Cheers Adrian

SundayNiagara