Author Topic: Modular or Around the wall design  (Read 5136 times)

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Modular or Around the wall design
« on: July 20, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
Found this on Train Board and can't get anyone to tackle it over there.  Would anyone like to try stretching #17, Buckley & Onarca, http://retailers.kalmbach.com/sitefiles/catalogsamples/12443spread.pdf and turn it into an HOn3 point-to-point?  Both ends would have coaling/service and turntables, or possibly wyes to get locomotives turned around.  Anyone?
Mark
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:01:38 PM by SundayNiagara »

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Modular or Around the wall design
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:15:48 AM »
Its an interesting plan but don't think  it lends itself well to oporation as is. I can't see any run around at all?

But as you surgest splitting it up into a round the wall point to point or how ever it would lend itself to something interesting with some modifications. Dont have time now to draw anything up but ive got some ideas floating around already.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 01:39:52 PM »
Do we have a layout designer in this group?

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 11:55:08 PM »
Sort of but im very busy at the moment.
Got any preferance for room size to fit this in? or can i got as big as i like?
Ill have a go in my lunch break at work tomorrow for you.
Cheers Adrian

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 02:51:28 PM »
Sort of but im very busy at the moment.
Got any preferance for room size to fit this in? or can i got as big as i like?
Ill have a go in my lunch break at work tomorrow for you.

I'd prefer 4-6' modules.  The sawmill could become a mine.  Could it include a wye?
Mark

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 11:59:59 PM »
I didn't really get the chance in my break today but i am looking at it visulising possible options. It is rather hard to break it up because of the two loops.

Onarca could be easily seporated into a 2x6 module. With a little playing around like moving the engine house to the position of industry K and placing a cross over where it was origionaly.

Keeping the run into buckley (from the right hand end of onarca)as it but Unwrapping it sort of extending the distance between the two would make nice running.
Buckley could remain as another module of 2x6 and would also require a cross over of sum kind to form a run around otehrwise operating becomse dificult.
removing the track to the mine/mill area.

As for the mill or mine area. i had this idea of when its all broken up you have a track that leads out of Buckley Yard the then descends under Onarca. you could place a mill at this lover level after the portal exit.

It gets a little complicated to plan if there are no real restrictions though. Ill keep thinking about it.
Cheers Adrian

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »
The whole idea is to eliminate the loop, as I specifically mentioned point-to-point.

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
In eliminating the loop, which I totally dislike, could a peninsula be created, which would incorporate the mine?  Could a wye be added to turn locomotives around?

ArtinWDM

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
Mark, what size room is this going into? Or just modules and go? Do you want some room for scenery between towns or have them kinda close? You could draw the railroad out as a single line with three spots, Buckley, the mine (or sawmill) and Onarca.

A small turntable would be better that a wye. Wye's are nice, but they can gobble up space. Think a 26-30 wide module to support those two 22" radius curves. A turntable is easier to place and not use up room.

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 06:15:02 PM »
Modules, with 4-6' sections in a "W" shape with the mine in the center peninsula.