Author Topic: How does ME Hon3 Code 70 and 55 match up  (Read 1305 times)

trainman2

• Yardman
  • Ft. Worth, Texas
    • View Profile
How does ME Hon3 Code 70 and 55 match up
« on: August 06, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »
I guess what I want to know will the two different ME codes 70 and 55 match up in HOn3. I guess what I want to do is run the mainline on code 70 and then at the switch, switch to code 55 for the spur or siding. Are the track heights manufactured the same or will I need to make an adjustment where the two different codes come together. Plus, does Blackstone run on ME 55 rail, or are there flange problems. Thanks for your answers.

John

yrnmb

Re: How does ME Hon3 Code 70 and 55 match up
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:05:54 AM »
John,

I have some of each track at home, but it'll be this evening before I'll be able to look at it. However, I'd imagine the tie heights are the same but the rail heights are different, so my best guess without confirming it with actual track is that the top of the rail of the Code 55 track is going to be 0.015" lower than the Code 70 rail top. If that is indeed the case, I know you can still mate them by shimming up the C55 track where you mate them. I'll look at my track this evening and give you a definitive answer, unless someone else does first.

As for whether Blackstone equipment can run on C55 rail, I have one of their C-19's and I've test run it on a piece of C55 track and it did fine. I don't have any of their rolling stock, but I'd guess if the engine can run on it, the rolling stock would be able to also.

yrnmb

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 12:51:52 AM »
I measured and both sizes of track have the same height ties, so indeed the C70 railhead is 0.015" higher than the C55. But you can slip a rail joiner on the C70 rails and flatten the other end, then place the C55 on top of the flattened portion and solder it to it. You should then be able to adjust the height to match. I've seen it done with C83 and C100, but I haven't done it myself. In my opinion, it'd be worth it to give you the look you're after. I plan on doing this on my layout, but I'll be using C55 and C40.

customnscaler

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 05:40:07 PM »
That's exactly how I do it! Works great.