Author Topic: The Wolf Creek & Santa Fe Railroad Plan  (Read 6091 times)

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
The Wolf Creek & Santa Fe Railroad Plan
« on: August 07, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
All,
I am officially starting my layout this weekend! The plan was finalized today after months of working on it (Thanks to Craig Brantley for helping me design the layout and then putting it in cad for me).
The layout is a double deck modular layout with Some HO, Some HOn3, and Some Dual Gauge. The lower level has 1 town with a Standard Gauge Yard. There is also a Dual Gauge Loop on the Lower Level. The Second Level is all Narrow Gauge with a Yard and a 10 stall Durango Roundhouse. I plan on putting a small station there also. It will also feature a Chama Oil Rack in the yard. I will also feature a switch back with a mind or something similar to that (it will depend on what kit i'm able to find.
That layout will be 11 ft x 5.5 ft and as mention it will be modular. I must have it modular so I can move it after I finish college and get my own place. The radius is minimum 18 in radius. The rest will be anywhere from 20"-28" radius. The lower level will be at a height of 32", the top level will be at a height of 56", and the switchback will be at 60".
I will be happy to post the plan, but the website keeps rejecting it. I had this issue a while back when I tried to post some of my photos from the 463 charter. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know and I will try it!
Enjoy
Blake 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:04:24 PM by ng492 »

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: The Wolf Creek & Santa Fe Railroad Plan
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:18:56 AM »
How large is the file you are trying to post?  192kb should be enough.  If you can't reduce it, email it to me and I'll do it.

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »
Ok let me know if those work. It initially won't work for me, but if i save it twice it post. If it doesn't work, i'll send it to you Mark.
Enjoy
Blake

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
Got them!  Unable to open in photoshop, or Open Office.  Can you create them in .jpg?  Then, attach them the same way.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:25:40 PM by SundayNiagara »

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:12:28 PM »
I tried and it won't let me. Could you try Mark? I just emailed them to you
Enjoy
Blake

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 10:03:06 PM »
Here are the plan photos for the WCSFRR
Enjoy
Blake

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »
Upper level plans

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:04:08 PM »
Whole layout plan

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 02:26:17 AM »
interesting design.
I don't recall ever seeing a multideck layout where it is a walk around rather then a round the walls.
Hope you can share pictures of your progress.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 09:20:37 AM »
I'll be happy to share photos as I make progress. Once the benchwork has been completely finished, I'll prepare and post an update.
Enjoy,
Blake

railtwister

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 08:25:34 PM »
Hi Blake,

In a quick glance, I see a couple of problems, but these are just my own observations. First, your layout is 66" wide, which means it will be a long reach to get to any tracks near the middle of the layout, especially in the yard, since that's a likely place for derailments.

Also, it looks like your yard is under and in the middle of the helix, which hampers accessibility for both the yard and the helix. It might be better if you could put the lower yard on the other end of the layout, away from the helix.

Plus, it seems to me like you have crammed too much track into your space, which will make it look more like a busy standard gauge railroad than narrow gauge.

Bill in FtL

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 11:32:22 PM »
Hi Bill,
Thanks for your concerns! I appreciate the feedback on the plan.
I understand the long reach issue. Unfortunately, I have no choice. I don't have anymore space other than what the layout fits into. I am going to have step-stools around the layout for easy access.
Second, the yard you see, is actually hidden storage. I was primarily in HO scale, before I caught the HOn3 bug, so the storage in this area is for this equipment.  I plan to have a hole in the middle of the helix so I can have easy access inside the helix and to the hidden storage.
Third, I have crammed way to much track in the space! I will be slowly redesigning the standard gauge storage and track so it will all work.

I have finished building the benchwork for the first level and I am currently laying track down to see how the track looks/works with the plan.
Enjoy
Blake

yrnmb

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 01:36:54 PM »
I'll be happy to share photos as I make progress. Once the benchwork has been completely finished, I'll prepare and post an update.
Enjoy,
Blake

We're going to hold you to that! Hope things are going smoothly.

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 09:25:04 PM »
Here is the basic benchwork for the layout. Check out the next 4 post

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 09:26:29 PM »
Part 2/4