Author Topic: Scratch Building 101 - Project for Beginners  (Read 4219 times)

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Scratch Building 101 - Project for Beginners
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:49:35 AM »
Since we now have an area to put our Model and Kit Building/Bashing, I had this idea today and want to share something with the forum members here.

My main focus in the wonderful world of miniature trains is building structures.
I thought it would be nice to do a project that everyone on the forum can have a go at no matter there structure building experience and have something for their layout.

So to start Iím going to build a simple Garage with a Lean to on the side. The Garage will be made of timber siding and I will show how to distress, stain and then paint it for a weathered look. The lean to will be of tar paper with timber boards holding it on. I will show how to make nice tar paper out of paper from an art store. The roof will also be tar paper and I will make doors from stip wood. I will also share a few little scratch built details.

I hope this will get some of the plastic kit guys out here to join in on something that is actually easy and often a lot cheaper then the kits. Plesase let me know if your following along so it will motivate me to finish this.

Anyway im off to draw up a simple plan.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: Scratch Building 101 - Project for Beginners
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »
Please post your progress on here Batey! I may not need it for a couple years, but I will need a couple garages to go along with a couple house models I have yet to build.
Enjoy
Blake

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:07:47 PM »
So i made a start lastnight on this little project. Here are the Materials so far (i will add to the list later on).

- 1 sheet of 1/16 scribed siding from North Eastern scale lumber 1/32 thickness (the only stuff the LHS had).
- 1 pack of 2x4 lumber by northeastern scale lumber
- Card sheet that is 1/16 thick.

One thing i cant stress enough is USE A FRESH BLADE WHEN CUTTING. They dont cost much and make a lot of difference to your cuts. Get a new one out at the start of each project and place it if the tip breaks. I have an old Film canister full of old blades and one of fresh blades on my bench and its something i pick up every time i go to the local hobby shop.

So to get started:
I drew up a plan on paper but i will draw up a CAD plan to attach later on in the week that can be used as a template.
I cut out the walls of the main garage from the card stock after i transfered the drawing to them.
I also cut the 4 walls from the scribed siding.

Pictures will follow later today since i am at work at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:13:25 PM by Batey »
Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:06:07 AM »
Time for some pictures.

Just getting ready to start out.
Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 03:10:56 AM »
Here are the 4 main wall sections.

Both from card and Timber.
I normally start with thicker timeber and not worry about the card but because i could only get 1/32 thick i use card to strengthen it.
I will also use some internal bracing later on as i suspect the timeber will bend out of shape when paint and stains are used.

Make sure you use a fresh blade and a metal rule when cutting the sides.
Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 03:17:00 AM »
Next step is to cut the door out of the front. I will provide some measurements when i do a CAD drawing later on.
Keep the door as we will us it and frame it up later on.

The next thing i do is de stress the timer and add grain to the planks. It adds age and detail to it.
I Use a small wire brush to scrub the timber lightly to add the grain. You can just see it in the photos but it is more noticable once it is painted and stained. It takes time to do this but i have built On30 structures that were board by board with a 5inch by 6 inch footprint and it is worth the effort.
Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 01:59:02 AM »
Well i kind of lost interest in this one and forgot to take photos.

I did how ever finish a shed off. If anyone wants more information or anything just ask and i will try fill in a bit of info in regards to the processes and techniques used.

Cheers Adrian

yrnmb

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:54:59 PM »
Very nice looking shed and diorama. I like how you used different material for the side shed, plus the faded and weathered paint.

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 11:24:24 PM »
Rob, The little lean to shed and roof of the main one is done with paper.
I go to an art store and buy an A4 sheet of black carson paper that is thin. I used other colours as well.

Pretty simple technique really. Get a set of cheap acrylic paints. Grab a grey out and some black and do a very watered down was of the hole sheet but make sure you only brush one direction as you will notice with tar paper it weathers from water being washed over it.
I use a cheap chalk set that has earth tones for more weathering. Just another thing from the art shop for $5 crape a bit of the stick with a blade to create a powder and then use a soft brush to add some weathering.
Cut the sheet into strips and just glue it onto some card or wood. the boards are just scale timber (dont recall what size).

Have a go at it. Even if you have a brick building on your layout a little lean to in tar paper adds character and is cheap.
Cheers Adrian