Author Topic: Empire Midland drop bottom gon  (Read 937 times)

Lateral-G

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Empire Midland drop bottom gon
« on: February 12, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »
I bought this a few years ago. It already had couplers installed. The problem was the couplers were below the scale coupler pocket position, which made the car ride much higher than the BS drop bottom gons. The trucks also had A LOT of rolling resistance and also contributed to the excess height (due to thick brass washers on the bolster). So this past weekend I decided to see what I could do to improve things.

I used a set of BS trucks but after trying to see if they would work it was clear there was way more wrong. The center beam was too wide and when the trucks would turn the wheel flanges would hit this center beam. I also wanted to try and put the couplers in the scale pocket location. Unfortunately there was no way they would fit. These old brass cars are designed for something like a Seargent coupler.

So I had to make a decision that would force me down a path of no return and quite possible ruin. I got out the dremel and started hacking. I had to cut about an inch off each end of the center beam, make a new coupler mount as wekk as a bolster mount for the trucks. A few days and lots of trials later here are the results...

I know it's not correct but at least I have another gon for the layout and didn't have to scrap the car entirely.

Something like this really, really makes you appreciate BS RTR cars.

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Empire Midland drop bottom gon
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »
Good going!
Mark

stevestefko

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Re: Empire Midland drop bottom gon
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:52:55 PM »
LG,  your work looks good.  but, what about the divider going thru the center of the gon?  now, take measurements from the car, and scratchbuild more