Author Topic: Logging Style - Diorama Layout  (Read 4280 times)

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Logging Style - Diorama Layout
« on: February 25, 2014, 06:59:51 PM »
About a week ago i made a decision to go back into HO scale Australian steam prototype. Fast forward a week and i had built a few 4 wheel wagon kits and was digging through some stored equipment and found a heap of code 55 hand layed points and once again that changed everything!

Well i thought i need a test track for HO and Hon3 so how about a simple run around. Next thing i know i have a 1200mm x 400mm Hon3 shunting layout. So with 5 turnouts layed and some ties down for the rest of the track im heading in the direction of a wharf layout so i can build a waterfront scene and some simple scratch built buildings.

The track work is simple and allows a short train to enter (maybe 3 cars pulled by a 3 truck shay or 4 cars pulled by my ge 70 ton) then spot the cars at the 3 various industries.

More hand laying of ties tonight and some photos to share i hope.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:35:10 AM by Batey »
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Time Saver Diorama LAyout
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:06:38 PM »
Haven't taken the time to get some pictures of the layout yet but have spent some time laying track.
All the timber ties are down and painted with railroad tie brown and i have about 12inch of rail to finish laying.

All the points need finishing off with check rails and just the cutting of the breaks in the track. I used Fast Tracks No.5 point building kit and found it is a great way to make turnouts. takes a few until you get the process sorted out and a decent soldering iron really helps.

Won't be able to get pics for a few days since im celebrating my engagement with my family and friends this weekend :-) but maybe next week.
Cheers Adrian

yrnmb

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:20:23 PM »
Congratulations on the engagement! Looking forward to seeing pics of this, it sounds interesting.

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 01:01:35 AM »
Well im still here working away at this one. I haven't taken any decent photos yet and i have to find some place to upload them to.

How ever i have been busy.
Track is almost down, All the ties are down and track is in segments on my bench for weathering and things. I drilled all the wholes for my point control. Something of note that people might like. I drilled a hole in the bench and it was a little messy. I actually used Styrene tube about 5mm dia and thread that into the hole so there is no obtrusions for the control rods.

Im working on control mechanisms and have used a combination of rods and DPDT switches to create control. Spent many many hours working it out yesterday and i think i have something i can share now that actually works.

Plenty of freight car works going on. Victor gold mining gondola (Labelle) that came off ebay half built has been salvaged and turned into a usable freight car. An few other brass freight flats have receive some detail and my Hon3 Ge 70 tonn conversion is almost done as well.

I have a few structures. Im Actually in the process of converting an old refrigerator car into a storage shed with decking out the front of it. Spent last night working on it.

Anyway hope i can find the motivation to take some pics to share.
Cheers Adrian

yrnmb

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
I use Photobucket to store the few pics I've posted here. I'm barely computer-literate enough to use it, but if I can, I imagine anyone can.

I'm curious to see what you've come up with for turnout control. This is an area I find interesting, as I've been looking for a cheap, easy way to control them.

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 06:48:12 PM »
Yeah i will have to get onto photo bucket and up lost them later.

For the turnout control i was looking at using servo motors but was going to be time consuming to work out the electronics and things. I will at a later date look into it again.

What i did end up with how ever is using a DPDT slide switch that i assume you would get from Radio shack over your way

I drilled 2 holes in the switch leaver and mounted it below the turnout. one rod goes up through the throw bar and the other has a rod that runs out to the fascia for the leaver. The switch gives you the kind of locking the turnout in position as well as the ability to switch the frog polarity.

For the leavers im looking at using these mounted on the front of the layout

In the end you have something like this

Once i have mine complete ill take some pics and list the parts and construction notes for you.
The switch is about $1.40 and a bit of brass wire. The buttons on the front are about 25c so its cheap turnout control really.
Cheers Adrian

stevestefko

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:45 PM »
this idea looks pretty slick.  cheap and effective.  I like it :)

yrnmb

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:09:54 PM »
I agree, that looks like it fits my criteria, cheap and effective! I may give it a try when I get to that point.

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:52:35 PM »
Yeah im looking at a way to make the pieces removable also in case things need to be fixed. at the moment its really just all hot glued in place.
I think the switch can be mounted using a small bracket made from Aluminium angle (local hardware store) and the pics above appear to have threaded rod with nuts on them. I think it may actually be control rods from model planes.

Im off work tomorrow so ill be in the garage working away and i will be taking a camera and sharing some pictures.
Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 02:26:37 AM »

Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 09:22:34 PM »
Ok so i have got some time now to explain the pics above.

All the track is code 55 on wood ties with intermediate pcb ties. Its weathered with rail tie brown floquil.

As you can see in the first picture the structure up the back is a structure from sierra west scale models and is part of there logging camp deer creek structures. I have 3 more bunk houses that will probably fill out the back area of the layout with dense ground cover and redwoods.

Tank frame at the front is a evergreen hill branch-line water tank. Im going to make a metal tank for the top rather then the timer one from the kit.

You can see the cut out section that is going to allow for waterfront backwaters or maybe a log dump and a saw mill.
I haven't decided what direction to head with this one.
Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Logging Style - Diorama Layout
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 01:41:05 AM »
Some more progression over the weekend.

Working on the switch throw mechanisms. The connecting rod from below the layout up through the core to the throw bar was attached at the end of the throw bar. I had some issues with this and the turnout not switching properly. On closer inspection i noted that the rod was kind of pivoting and wasn't actually moving properly. Also the direction that the whole assembly moves. it needs to all be in line with the throw bar so the switch movement is the same direction.

To solve the problem i re positioned the under table mechanism to line up better and then i move the actual rod to between the rails. This seemed to fix the issue with a little playing around and it was good to go again.

I noticed today switches at the electronics store that had screw mounts on them. I will be using them if i ever go down this road of turnout control again.

Cheers Adrian