Author Topic: Durango Press HOn3 Westside Lumber flat car - Rotted boards  (Read 2222 times)

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Durango Press HOn3 Westside Lumber flat car - Rotted boards
« on: February 27, 2014, 07:24:03 PM »
I recently spent an evening building two Flat Cars from Durango Press.

The kits are white metal construction and do take some messing around to get them looking nice. How ever they do make nice finished cars and are a reasonable price so i thought i would list my construction notes.

Kits comes with a

- Single cast deck and car construction. This needed some cleaning up of some of the excess white metal from the casting process. Nothing a small needle file and some sanding sticks wont fix. Detail is very nice but i will note that the end of the cars was lacking and is a little messy so i filed it off square and flat and added 4 nut and bolt details to each end where the beams joins just to dress it up a little bit.

- Queen posts beams. needed a little clean up but nothing out of the ordinary.

- bolster beams were good an a simple file on the side that connects to the deck casting and they were ready to go.

- End detail casting. Two small plates that mount over the coupler boxes and add some detail. Quick sand and ready to go.

- Brass wire - Bend to make the tie rods. Good idea to mount the queen post beams and tie rods before the bolster beams and trucks.

- Brake cylinder and wheel , simple castings.

- Trucks, now these are frustrating. i hate white metal trucks because they are brittle and hard to align correctly so they wont make it on the cars but will end up as details somewhere on a layout or diorama.
Get some brass or microtrians ones.

Fairly straight forward assembly of the kit. just make sure you file the parts that make contact square before using CA to attach them. Kit took about and hour and the time consuming part is bending the wire for the tie rods.

Anyway an easy kit to build so grab one or two next time your at a show or the LHS and add them to your roster.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

yrnmb

Re: Durango Press HOn3 Westside Lumber flat car - Rotted boards
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »
Thanks for the notes on your build. I'd be willing to bet it'd take me longer than an hour!

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Durango Press HOn3 Westside Lumber flat car - Rotted boards
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 07:55:43 PM »
I forgot about this topic and posted the finished cars in a new one here http://hon3forums.com/index.php?topic=369.0
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under