Author Topic: New HOn3 Layout started D&RGW  (Read 8134 times)

trainman2

• Yardman
  • Ft. Worth, Texas
    • View Profile
New HOn3 Layout started D&RGW
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:52:48 PM »
At age 68 I'm starting my last layout, or I hope my last layout. I've had two others in the past, one being N scale some 45 years ago and HOn3 some 30 years ago and now an HOn3. I've just started on the bench and I should complete it in another week, just waiting for the weather to warn up so I can push the saws out of the shop again to cut more wood. The layout will be 4X12 and is at 50" tall, I have done the design on the computer and will post pics as soon as I figure out again how to do it. All my earlier HOn3 stuff was sold some years back, all was brass and none was DCC equipped, but I felt I did do well in selling it so not really much of a loss there. If Blackstone had not got into HOn3 I probably would not have decided to go with HOn3 again, probably would have went with ON30, but being a D&RGW person Blackstone came along at the right time. I'm in Ft. Worth, Texas and if anyone else is working on a HOn3 layout I would like to hear from them, I have several modeler friends, but none in HOn3. Will post some pics as soon as I can.

Due note that the layout is not drawn to scale, I do realize that the "Y" is too small, I will be making a cardboard template of a 18" radius "Y" before I start on the track with "L" type construction, if the "Y" takes up too much room I will go with a turntable. This layout was drawn with Microsoft "Paintbrush". John
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:48:17 PM by trainman2 »

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: New HOn3 Layout started D&RGW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »
Trackplan, please.

yrnmb

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »
John, it's good to hear you're taking the plunge in HOn3 again. The more the merrier! I'm in OKC, so while I can lend moral support, I can't give you any support in person. Be sure and keep us informed how things are going, it's always good to see/hear about others' layouts.

trainman2

• Yardman
  • Ft. Worth, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »
Thanks, yrnmb, I have good modeling experience over they years, but it's nice to have someone to talk narrow gauge with. I think I will go to the NG Convention in Kanas City this year, I haven't been to one since the very first ones in Durango.

John

yrnmb

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »
I'd like to make it to KC, but it'll be a stretch. I've never had the pleasure of attending a NNGC.

stevestefko

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 06:23:33 AM »
trainman2......if you are running the k models, it takes a minimum 18" radius.............steve

trainman2

• Yardman
  • Ft. Worth, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
My new layout has no radius under 18". If your looking at the layout that I drew it was not drawn to scale, just something close to what I wanted to do. Now that I have started the layout is not anywhere close to what I drew, but it does make a double loop.

John

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 09:38:07 PM »
You must have a big room.

stevestefko

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 09:09:15 AM »
pictures.........please

trainman2

• Yardman
  • Ft. Worth, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »
Here are pics of the layout as it is today, one pics shows the cardboard templates drawn on the cardboard, another they are cut out with temporary risers installed, and the last with the wooden risers in place, as you can see all the cutout templates are ready to transfer to the plywood and then they will be mounted to the risers, this should be done in the next few days. I will also make Homasote templates at the same time. Half inch plywood and half inch Homasote will be my base for the track to mount to.

John 

http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/iratrainman/library/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:42:47 AM by trainman2 »

yrnmb

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 10:52:35 AM »
From your pictures, I'm guessing you're going with the wye instead of the turntable. Is that correct?

trainman2

• Yardman
  • Ft. Worth, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »
Well yes and no, when I drew the layout on the cardboard I had full intentions of putting the Y in, but after getting all the track risers in place and thinking about how it would look on the layout I have now thought I might go with a turntable. Since I'm getting my plywood and Homasote, tomorrow and will probably start cutting it out on Tuesday, I will have to decide rather quickly.

John

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 01:45:06 AM »
John, Hope you don't mind but i took the time to show your pictures in a post for visitors to the topic.
Looks like an interesting layout your working on. Also looks like you have a nice area to build your layout in.

Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

trainman2

• Yardman
  • Ft. Worth, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 10:06:15 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics, sometimes I can get them to work and sometimes not. Yesterday and today I cut out all the plywood from the cardboard templates and fit them to the layout, tomorrow I will take the plywood track bases back off the layout and trace them on the Homasote and cut them out. Them I will reinstall the plywood track bases and glue the Homasote to them.

John

CBandQ537

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
Hi John:

Hope your layout construction is going well. We have very similar backgrounds in the hobby--see my recent introductory post.

My "last" HOn3 layout (at age 66) will be an "around the room" shelf layout (48" high) with 19" minimum radius curves and turntables at both ends. For the time being, I will go with "old school" sound systems by MRC and Modeltronics. I may try DCC later if I can afford it.

Unlike you, I did not sell my HOn3 brass/equipment from the '70s and '80s. It's just been packed away for about 25 years and is now slowly emerging!

I'll post photos on my progress too...hopefully soon!

Scott Z.
Rapid City, SD