Author Topic: New Kid on the block  (Read 1078 times)

Sir Madog

• Yardman
    • View Profile
New Kid on the block
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:34:06 AM »
Hi there,

my name is Ulrich. I am from Germany and a long time addict to model railroading, but a newbie when it comes to HOn3.

In those 50+ years of being a model railroader, I have built quite a number of different layouts, starting with that typical Marklin layout as a teenager and later on venturing into different scales, like N, Z, On30 and even G scale.

I have been in love with Colorado narrow gauge railroading ever since I visited the Durango & Silverton RR, when it was still operated by the D&RGW back in 1974. In the same year, I bought a Westside Model Co. D&RGW T-12 at the then horrendous price of $ 100. At that time, this amount bought you 2 Marklin SBB crocs! I painted,lettered and weathered the loco, but never had a chance to see it run, as HOn3 track was virtually impossible to get at that time. So for nearly 40 years, the loco sat quietly in its box, nearly forgotten. Only recently, I rediscovered the gem I had stashed away in my attic. A length of HOn3 track was hand laid in no time and a test run done. The result was not disappointing, although the loco did not move an inch forward. Looks like I have a full service job ahead of me. The motor is still OK, but I may changed into a can motor with flywheels. The loco is also not balanced well - that has to be addressed as well.

I am right now looking into building a small HOn3 layout. Years ago I have already drawn up a track plan for this layout, which certainly still needs a lot of tweaking.

Any comment is highly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ulrich
Cheers!

Ulrich

"People in Hamburg donīt tan, they rust!"

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: New Kid on the block
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »
Welcome to the group! I like your track plan. Small but many switching opportunities. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Enjoy,
Blake

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 02:17:57 AM »
Looks like a nice room sized layout of a manageable size. I look forward to seeing it develop.

For some reason when i saw the layout this layout from an Australian modeller came to mind in regards to switching
http://www.lauriegreensweb.com/San%20Miguel/San%20Miguel.html
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

Sir Madog

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:15:39 AM »
Batey,

thanks for the link! In HOn3, this nice layout would fit alongside one of the walls and is less intrusive as my idea. My wife, with whom I share my "layout room", will love it.

One of the issues I am having with my plan, is the lack of staging. I have not found a way to incorporate that into the plan without sacrificing one of the stations.
Cheers!

Ulrich

"People in Hamburg donīt tan, they rust!"

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »
Would there be any oportunity to add maybe 2 or 3 staging tracks behind cimaron? Maybe coming in just before the bridge?

You could have 2 trains ready in staging. One as a mixed freight and the other to service the mine with empties?
The mixed freight could run into Montrose and set out cars and pick up for Cimaron  tunr on the table and then head off to Cimaron.

At that point you could run the train to service the mine into montrose to do switching while one oporator is working Cimaron.

Put a small passenger service in there to and you have a decent session.

I like the theory behind lauries layout operation and card system to keep you busy in a session.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under