Author Topic: Casting Resin Parts?  (Read 1500 times)

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Casting Resin Parts?
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:27:36 PM »
Im wondering if there is anyone who has experience in casting with resin?

Ive been working on some masters to make workbenches, crates and other details to fill up scenes but im also considering making some flatcar under-frames or even boxcars in the future for my logging railroad.

Here is the information im following.
http://www.lauriegreensweb.com/Casting/casting.html
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: Casting Resin Parts?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 02:00:23 PM »
Hi Batey,
My dad casts most of his scratch built locomotives with urethane.  He will make a master, make a box using styrene sheets, then use rubber to make the mold. Once the mold is done, he will make the part using urethane. The manufacturer he buys the supplies from is silpak (http://www.silpak.com/products/urethplas.html).
The most extensive project he has done with casting is the F Unit project. Check it out on his website at www.cwrr.org.
The only problem I have seen is the smaller the scale, the more difficult it is to cast it. Since he is casting in G scale, he has had very few problems. I have cast several parts for myself in HO scale using his system. The hardest part is making the mold without mold lock.
If you have more questions, let me know.
Thanks,
Blake
Ps:My dad's layout will be open for the NNGC in 2015 in Houston! More info coming soon.......

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:55:47 PM »
Hi Blake, Thanks for your input.
I ordered some supplies yesterday to have a go. I think im going to start simple by casting a simple crate or things like that for detail parts. I do have a larger plan to release a craftsman kit of a Mill engine boiler and supply shack so have been working on masters the past month for this.

I'm also working towards a 20' hon3 backwoods boxcar casting set.
I really hope i can get it to work and keep an eye out as i will be sharing the process here
Cheers Adrian

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:48:40 PM »
Success!

Last night i cast my first part with resin. it was a small backwoods storage tank. I made the master by wrapping a wood block with sheet brass that i had added rivet detail to. Didnt get a chance to take pics but im having another go this evening of some more detailed ones and i will get some pics while im at it.
Cheers Adrian