Author Topic: Layout design Help Needed  (Read 2903 times)

Sir Madog

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Layout design Help Needed
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »
My attempt at building a On30 layout ended in a disaster, as I grossly underestimated the space requiremnets for buildings. This layout will be taken down and whatever can be salvaged will be sold.

I am planning to make another attempt at a new layout - this time in HOn3, as I still have a loco and some rolling stock in this scale and gauge. I have been trying to come up with a layout idea, but did not succeed so far to find something, which is

represents a typical Colorado or New Mexico setting
    is rewarding to operate, despite the small size I have available
    can be built applying Freemo HOn3 standards.

The space I have is 10 ft by 19" - certainly not much.

Any help is highly appreciated!
Cheers!

Ulrich

"People in Hamburg donīt tan, they rust!"

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Layout design Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:46:33 PM »
Hi Ulrich, I cant really help you on this as i dont know anything about Colorado or New Mexico.

I think you may be in a bit of a freelance situation though to use your available space. Consider going back through some planing books and things and start from the ground up. Dont try to start with drawing a plan. Start with what style of industry you want or rather traffic. You need to create a flow i guess. Have your rolling stock have a purpose for being there.

For example since i like logging and mining operations i wouldn't go add a mine to a layout unless there is a destination for the freight. It could be just heading back to staging but it needs some place to go.

Since im looking at small space i have always thought about using 2 switching shelf's or puzzles for a layout. I notice you layout plan before and it had destination at either end. I have this theory that if you were to put a puzzle at either end with a mainline running between and also some how create another destination for staging you can get the ability keep yourself busy operating for numerous hours. Although ive never tested this :-)

This little thing is interesting concept
http://www.lauriegreensweb.com/Layout%20design/layout%20design.html

Also have a look at a time saver track plan - You might have enough track to put one togeather at the moment and keep you busy with a temporary layout in hon3 and you will eventually come up with something you like.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

Sir Madog

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
Adrian - thanks for the link! A big help and tons of inspiration to be found there!
Cheers!

Ulrich

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »
No Problem. I think layout design no matter how much you know or what era, railraod you model is always going to be complicated. Im going through that at the moment designing some logging modules but im moving late next year so want to be careful that they can be used down the track.
Cheers Adrian

ng492

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 12:03:49 AM »
Ulrich,
Check out http://hon3forums.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=db111c7cb7dc0ddbbc015d98b9eaefb0&topic=312.0
You could change up the plan to fit your room. Instead of having it on a 4X8, split up the plan and maybe go around the wall? Maybe add some tracks, remove others.
Another track plan I absolute loved was the beer line (Model Railroader Jan, 2009). It's not Colorado/NM scenery but could be easily added.
Good luck with the track plan! Once you decide what you want, please post it.
Enjoy,
Blake

Sir Madog

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »
I took a few days off for some more research on my planned layout idea.

Space is at a premium and, though continuous running is high up on my wish list, it wonīt be able to get in the space I have. Therefore I have decided on a modular design, based on the Freemo HOn3 standards. In a couple of years time, my wife and I will move into a new location and I will certainly look for more space for a layout than less.

I will start on the station module, which will actually be three modules, each about 1.00m by 0.50m.  The station will very loosely follow Embudo NM, located on the D&RGW Chili Line from Alamosa to Santa Fe. My T-12 used to haul passenger trains on this line until this type went out of service in 1938.

The track plan closely follows the late Wolfgang Dudlerīs design of his Salina module, with some adaptions made to it.

Not much more than a scenicked switching puzzle at the beginning, but with a potential to grow.
Cheers!

Ulrich

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 09:07:49 PM »
It might not be much more then a switching puzzel but its large enough to run some trains and also not be overwhelemed by the amount of scenery required to complete it.
I do like the idea of having freemo modules to alloow future expansion. Its a shame i dont really have any hon3 modelers i know of to do opporating sessions.
Looking forward to seeing it start and progress.
Cheers Adrian