Author Topic: Depot colors, et. al.  (Read 2727 times)

risrwy

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Depot colors, et. al.
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:23:23 PM »
All: I cannot find references to D&RGW depot, freight house and water tank colors during 1924-1929. Would someone please help, thank you. paul

stevestefko

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Re: Depot colors, et. al.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 02:16:38 AM »
I have been using polly scale- depot buff, and model color- leather brown.  little weathering on top of that, and it looks just fine
 ;)

trainman2

• Yardman
  • Ft. Worth, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 09:54:53 AM »
Some depots were painted white with green trim in that time period, like Chama Depot. I think I would try to find pics of the depots you wanted and go from there. We all think of D&RGW depots are the standard yellow and brown, but this is not true for all depots of the Rio Grande and in the time period that you wanted.

John

risrwy

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
All: I am working from photos of Cimarron and have the following; Depot, freight house water tank appear to be a dark color, brown/red maybe, while the eating house and hotel appear to be white. The-in lies the problem(s), the colors for 1929 or so. Paul.

trainman2

• Yardman
  • Ft. Worth, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »
This NG forum is pretty knowledgeable of stuff, I sometime use it when I need answers to what I want to know, http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/list.php?1

John

trainman2

• Yardman
  • Ft. Worth, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 02:35:34 PM »
You might find in on one of the Richard Dorman books, listed here, http://www.cumbrestoltec.org/images/stories/Dorman_Catalog/RD034_DRGW_Cimarron_Catalog.pdf

John

twilton

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 12:11:28 PM »
My recollection from my last trip on the C&TS was that the colors of the various stations along the line from Antonito to Chama represent the colors used by the D&RGW during different time periods. The facilities at Osier [not including the eating house, which is not a historical structure] are painted tuscan red, which was the color used by the D&RGW during the late 1920's. The white and pale green structures were painted their colors later, and that was apparently done to advise the B&B crew that they were not to be maintained.

TED