Author Topic: PSC D&RGW reefer  (Read 6051 times)

Lateral-G

• Yardman
    • View Profile
PSC D&RGW reefer
« on: January 02, 2015, 11:49:50 AM »
Started work on PSC's D&RGW reefer.

Still not happy with the trucks as provided by PSC so I used Kadee #717's I had in the parts bin. While these are tedious to assemble they work much better. I know BS trucks would be the best but I don't have any on hand and didn't want to wait to order some  ;)  The Kadee's are still nice and roll very well.

More to come......

craig48

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Re: PSC D&RGW reefer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 09:23:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

Craig

Lateral-G

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:29:25 AM »
Ready for paint:

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:32:56 AM by Lateral-G »

Lateral-G

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 11:33:21 AM »

Lateral-G

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 11:34:54 AM »
Paint applied, still need gloss coat and decals.

sc0ch

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 02:28:04 PM »
Looks fantastic Lateral-G.  The kit itself has no warped parts, but is a bit pricey for my blood.  The trucks look great.

What do you think of the kadee 716 versis the 717?  Any reason to choose the longer truck (do they roll better)?

Lateral-G

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:14:45 PM »
From what I have seen the reefer had the longer trucks.  Either one rolls very well. The guys on the yahoo group seem to hate them. Oh well, they're all I had on hand and didn't feel like ordering any BS ones.

yrnmb

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »
Really nice looking model, thanks for sharing.

marklinsa

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 04:00:29 AM »
Hi Jeff - thanks for sharing ! I see u also have a softspot for armour ...
Herman Steyn
Weltevreden Park
South Africa
herman@rula.co.za

Barry T

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
Great looking model! Just an FYI, the reefer trucks had the brakes located on the bolster side of the truck, so melting ice would not rust them out like normal outside brakes.

Lateral-G

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »
Hi Jeff - thanks for sharing ! I see u also have a softspot for armour ...
Airplanes too :)

Lateral-G

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 12:55:20 PM »
FWIW, I received a BS reefer last week. It is very nice and ready to go right out of the box (no surprise there, huh?)

Anyway, the only criticism I can give is the scribing on the car sides isn't as pronounced as the PSC kit. The underbody detail isn't the usual BS level but that's because the car is intended to be equipped with Soundtrax's new sound decoder and in order to make that work some sacrifices had to be made. There's been enough debate on the issue so I'm not really going to get into it. I really have no opinion one way or the other and in the grand scheme of things since it can't be seen unless you take the car off the track and look no one but the owner/operator is ever going to know what's there. It is what it is.

To me, the biggest advantage the BS reefer has over the PSC reefer is cost. For less than $50 (if you're a good bargain hunter) you have an awesome RTR 30' wood reefer. You probably won't get the PSC reefer for that price (factoring in the costs for the kit, decals, trucks, couplers) and when you add in the cost for your time/labor, glue, paint, etc. there's no way you can touch the BS value for the dollar. The only, non-tangible, value that the PSC reefer gives is the fun you get from building the car yourself and the satisfaction derived going from part sprues to a running car. Of course that in of itself is purely subjective and will vary greatly from person to person.

I'll try to take some pics of the BS reefer along with side-by-side shots of my PSC one and post those in a few days.

swissboy

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 05:17:19 PM »
Great looking model. Congratulations.

I wonder whether you have posted the promised comparative pictures somewhere else? Would love to see BS and PSC reefer side by side.

Greetings from Switzerland.

Robert
Robert

vedearduff

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 02:12:14 PM »
Great job on the kit, I look forward to the side by side with the Blackstone model.
Vernon

Modeling the D&RGW in 1940