Author Topic: Woodland Scenics Mod-U-Rail System  (Read 1463 times)

CBandQ537

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Woodland Scenics Mod-U-Rail System
« on: July 17, 2015, 05:47:33 PM »
Boy, this site is pretty darn quiet! So I'll try again, this time with a question...

Is anyone using the Woodland Scenics Mod-U-Rail System for their HOn3 layout?

If so, could you please comment on your progress/satisfaction?
Thanks very much!!

Scott

trainman2

• Yardman
  • Ft. Worth, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Woodland Scenics Mod-U-Rail System
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:44:57 AM »
Your right, this site doesn't have very many interested posters, for what reason I don't know, it's well setup and ready to go. I did look into the Woodland Scenics Mod-U-Rail System before I started on my HOn3 layout, but as I wasn't looking for a modular type layout, but it still would work well for what I wanted to build. At 70 I'm pretty much stick with the old L type construction for my layout, but do use all the new foams and products that the model railroader of today is using. Not that cost is a concern, but since I own every tool known to mankind building the basic layout is just part of the model railroading hobby for me, but I can see the need for such kits that would work for many. I didn't answer your question, but wanted to let you know that there is someone else out there in the hobby on this forum. I'm going to Houston to the Narrow Gauge Convention in September and Woodland Scenics should have a booth there, maybe they will have something on this there. One thing to remember about the Mod-U-Rail System is that most HOn3's are builders and the more pre-made things there are they tend to stay away from, just the way I see it.

John

CBandQ537

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Re: Woodland Scenics Mod-U-Rail System
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:30:02 PM »
Thanks, John. I appreciate your perspective.

I am attracted to the Woodland Scenics modular system precisely because of its flexibility and portability. As for me, at 66, I'm really not too enthusiastic about building another L-girder layout and spending lots of time and $$ at the lumber yard.

And because my local hobby shop is a big Woodland Scenics dealer, their compatible product lines and sub-road bed are readily available to me as needed. Also, I like the light weight of the MOD-U-RAIL system and, frankly, the elimination of plywood, Homasote and cork road bed.

What I don't much like is that the modules are pre-packaged with all ground cover and foliage included. Since I model the Colorado n.g. lines, I have less need for deciduous trees and more for conifers. Guess I'll have to find someone with a need for the former!

At this point my "around the room/shelf-type" layout will utilize 8 modules. Thankfully, Woodland Scenics offers a "free" module for every four you buy.

By the way, MOD-U-RAIL does not have already made topography/road bed like some Woodland Scenics "pre-made" layouts do. Instead, you design and make it your own using WS components and normal model railroading construction/scenery techniques.

As I move forward with my layout, I'll try to keep you posted via this site...even if you and I are the only ones paying attention!  ;)

Scott
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:36:19 PM by CBandQ537 »