Author Topic: Bluetooth 4.0 Train Control from BlueRailTrains/Bachmann  (Read 904 times)

railtwister

• Yardmaster
  • Yardman
    • View Profile
Bluetooth 4.0 Train Control from BlueRailTrains/Bachmann
« on: January 11, 2016, 08:52:04 PM »
Bachmann's new E-Z App HO locomotives became available this past December, and I bought an Alco RS3 to try the system out. I liked it so much that I ordered a second loco a week later (this time an EMD FT). For the month of December, my HO modules were set up at a local library for my club's Holiday display, so I had a limited opportunity to play with them, first using my iPad, and then with my new iPhone 5s. The large screen of the iPad was great for showing the system to others, but I found I liked the iPhone a bit better, since since it was easy to control my trains using just one hand. I really like this system, and I think it has great potential (watch out DCC!). BlueRailTrains, the developer, has partnered with Bachmann to bring this product to fruition, Bachmann will sell train sets and locomotives with E-Z App boards factory installed and ready-to-run, while BlueRailTrains will offer user-installed boards to convert existing locos. Right now, the app for Apple's IOS is available (free on the App Store), with the Android app to be available in early 2016. The first separate boards are also scheduled for release in early 2016, I'm anxiously awaiting those.

Right now, the sound is produced in the control device, but the boards have a port for options like an on-board sound circuit, as well as solder pads for onboard battery power. I think there are many great possibilities with this system for the future, and I'm more exited than when I got my first DCC system way back in 1993.

For more info, see the BlueRailTrains.com website, or check out Bachmann's site to see which RTR locos and road names are available.

Bill in FtL