Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 1407 times)

Michael Moore

• Yardman
    • View Profile
New to the Forum
« on: August 10, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »
Hello my name is Michael Moore.  I have in HOn3 since I was 18 years old.  The Rio Grande is my main focus, but mix it up with some RGS, C&S, White Pass,  and EBT for fun.  It is nice to meet you all.

CharlieNoble

• Yardman
    • View Profile
Re: New to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 05:17:21 PM »
Hi Michael

I just logged on a week or so ago. Asked a question and the silence made me wonder if anyone is alive on this forum.

At least there are two of us.

I am into the Eastern Narrow Gauge and getting psyched up to build a layout if I can get hold of some drawings of stuff I want to build.

Hope we haven't disturbed the deceased on here.

edj aka CharlieNoble

Mark Lewis

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 04:14:59 PM »
Michael and Charlie:

I don't know why there is so little newer activity on this forum, other than most HOn3 modelers are over on the HOn3 Narrow Gauger and HOn3 Narrow Gauge Modelers Facebook groups.

Charlie- I sent you a reply to your ET&WNC question, a few minutes ago.

Mark Lewis
Stony Point, NC

CharlieNoble

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 09:45:18 AM »
Mark

I've noticed that Graybeal has a couple of books on the ET&WNC and will probably get them.

One of the last resources for the Ten-wheelers that I know if was Train and Trooper who folded a couple of years back. Guess there is not much interest in them in the East.

Thanks for the info.

Happy modeling.

edj

Tux

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 01:41:12 PM »
After a 20 year hiatus I've decided to take my old HOn3 layout out of storage and re-assemble it.  First couple of things I noticed is that things seem to have changed from CAB control to DCC and the Walthers catalogue has gone from over 1000 pages for just HO to a slimmer version for HO, N and Z scales.  What's happened to the hobby?

drbnc

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 05:52:45 PM »
Costs have risen, the demographics have changed.  Kind of like amateur radio.  Blackstone was kicking it with their line of HOn3 locos and rolling stock, but they have hit a block with the Chinese supplier debacle (same as many other manufacturers).  I'm in the process of building an HOn3 switching layout, 2 to 3 modules.  Peco HOn3 track, NCE DCC.
Woohoo!

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 12:20:38 PM »
Nice.

Tux

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 10:33:58 AM »
After a couple of months of internet give-and-take, talking to hobby shop owners and reading all that I can get my hands on, it appears the real problem is that trains don't play a part in people's lives anymore (just like the demise of Western movies) so the youngest generation is growing up without any exposure to railroading like we old-timers had.  As a result, what IS selling are video games, remote control cars and drones.  20 years ago there were 2 major model railroad hobby shops in my metro area, Trains West and Abajo Station.  Now there are none.  Same with all the major sellers I used to patronize like Mitchell's, Village, Rivershore, Kris Kringle, Plum Loco, Raritan Bay.  Southwest NG is still in business and Caboose has been sold and turned into a joke for us brass modelers.
On the other hand, when I go to Chama or Durango the railroad trips on those narrow gauge RR's are all sold out.

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 10:50:02 AM »
I am fortunate in having a train store here, in North Miami. Although it is perceived as an O Gauge store, it  features N, HO and S, as well as the garden type stuff. If you're ever in South Florida stop in Ready To Roll Trains, you'll be pleased.

Tux

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 04:57:54 PM »
Just bought a used brass C-16 from them on eBay yesterday.

drbnc

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 05:03:12 PM »
My first module, if you can call it that (8" x 18") has track laid.  Peco HOn3 code 70 is interesting - tiny, TINY spikes that lose the rail if you breathe wrong.  That said, it's down and I'm waiting for the glue to dry.  Then some ops, placeholders for structures at the moment.  Second module, another 8" x 18", will be started soon.
Woohoo!

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 11:22:54 AM »
My first module, if you can call it that (8" x 18") has track laid.  Peco HOn3 code 70 is interesting - tiny, TINY spikes that lose the rail if you breathe wrong.  That said, it's down and I'm waiting for the glue to dry.  Then some ops, placeholders for structures at the moment.  Second module, another 8" x 18", will be started soon.

Let's see it.

drbnc

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »
Let's try links, since I can't get this forum to accept pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tSKzcEStLfG8eQw59

and plan:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eiuFvStNEUC2Bcv66
Woohoo!

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »

drbnc

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 04:13:42 PM »
Now to grab some time to paint the track, and start with scenery and buildings.  Life gets in the way too often!
Woohoo!