Author Topic: Craig Tice's Mojave & Panamint  (Read 7002 times)

yrnmb

Craig Tice's Mojave & Panamint
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:56:26 PM »
I wonder if anyone can help me find online photos of Craig Tice's Mojave & Panamint HOn3 layout. It was an excellent small layout featured in Railroad Model Craftsman back in 1990. He had a website for it for quite awhile, but it's apparently gone away. I've done a Google search, with no luck. If anyone knows of any photos, I'd appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

Rob Smith
OKC

BobH

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
Re: Craig Tice's Mojave & Panamint
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:17:35 PM »
I see the magazine is available..http://www.vintageadsandstuff.com/railmodelcraft93.html

If you buy it you have to post pictures!

yrnmb

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »
Thanks very much for the response. I didn't mention it before, but I already have the mag, but it's currently in a box in a room so full of stuff I can't hardly get into it. We moved awhile back, and my train mag collection hasn't seen the light of day yet.

I'm hoping to find additional pics of his layout. The magazine article has some nice ones, but his website had a lot more (as you would expect), and I'd like to use them as inspiration for my upcoming layout that will be built in the aforementioned room. At one time, I had downloaded copies of the pics Craig had on his website stored on my computer, but that was a couple of computers ago.

Rob

BobH

• Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:46:55 PM »
Rob, I don't believe I ever saw his layout.  Truely though if you either find any net info or your magazine I would like to see it.

ChrisS

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 08:49:57 AM »
The M&P is (was?) one of the finest HOn3 layouts I can remember being published.  Extraordinarily well-done and very inspirational, especially considering its small size.  I wonder what became of it, and Craig.

yrnmb

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 01:38:27 PM »
BobH, I stand corrected, I thought his layout was in RMC in 1990, but it was Feb. '93, as your link above shows. I'll do my best to find some pics and post them here.

As mentioned, it's (was?) a relatively small layout, point to point, set in the California desert. Craig did an excellent job (IMO) of creating a look that I'd like to replicate in my upcoming layout. Mine will be set in the Arkansas Ozarks, so obviously it's not the scenery I want to copy, but, as I mentioned, the overall "feel" of a small, rural RR.

Hopefully I'll be successful in finding something on it.

yrnmb

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 01:36:53 PM »
Well, I finally ran across my copy of the RMC containing the Mojave & Panamint. I've been unsuccessful in finding anything about it on the web though, so the only way I know of sharing pics would be to scan the magazine pages and upload them. I'm assuming this would be a copyright infringement, so unless someone can tell me I'm wrong, I still can't post anything. Can anyone tell me if there's any way around the copyright issue?

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »
Well, I finally ran across my copy of the RMC containing the Mojave & Panamint. I've been unsuccessful in finding anything about it on the web though, so the only way I know of sharing pics would be to scan the magazine pages and upload them. I'm assuming this would be a copyright infringement, so unless someone can tell me I'm wrong, I still can't post anything. Can anyone tell me if there's any way around the copyright issue?

Give credit where credit is due!

GASpagnolo

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 12:48:37 AM »
Hey Guys:

I got a lot of info from Craig's website before it was discontinued. I have pictures, two layout diagrams, his roster and notes, and my notes. Since my files are well over 500 KB I'll have to break them up to post them. The first file will have engines 1 - 4 with descriptions. I'll come in every day for the next few days until I have them all posted. They are posted as MS Word docs so you can use the photos and stuff. Hope this helps. NOTE: All diagrams and photos are by Craig Tice so he gets credit for them - I've noted this in the files.

Glen the Trainman    8)
g.spag@juno.com

yrnmb

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 10:11:52 AM »
Thanks Glen! I'm excited to see some pics of his layout again. As it seems you've just recently joined, let me be the first to welcome you. Good to have you aboard.

chuckbrumm

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 05:27:24 PM »
Hey gents, I am new to the list.  I am building a standard gauge short line based on Craig's ideas.  I remember seeing that article but don't have it now.  Looking forward to the pics from the m & p website

SundayNiagara

• President
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »
I am building a standard gauge short line based on Craig's ideas.

We won't hold that against you.  Seriously, welcome aboard!

chuckbrumm

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 10:24:56 PM »
Thanks,  perhaps one day I can aspire to be a "real" model railroader and go narrow!
main reason was cost.  I am building my 1st layout and needed to stay conservative on this one.