Author Topic: Thoughts on HOn3 Shays  (Read 12124 times)

Batey

• Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on HOn3 Shays
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 12:11:23 AM »
I was looking this morning at MDC things again.
I have one in the process. Although it doesnt run all to well and is so dam loud i have enjoyed the building of it so far.
Do yours run well?

Im thinking about using a NWSL transfer gearbox instead of the replacement gears that i already have.
Cheers Adrian

HOn3 Logging Modeler from Down Under

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
Adrian, my HO standard gauge is still NIB.  I purchased the HOn3 MDC Shay as a 'work in progress' from the previous owner, but haven't done anything with it yet.  I do have the Johnston MDC Shay book as a reference, which I hear can be a life saver.
Bruce

WVMNut

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 12:56:13 PM »
Well, I have a very sad story. I bought an MDC HOn3 Shay on Ebay. When it didn't run, I took it to a now defunct LHS where th owner swore he could get it repaired. I bought the regear kit from NWSL through the shop. I got it back 2 months later, the owner told me it ran but not too good and that it needed more work. I told him to send it to the person who re-geared it and have them fix it. It's been 4 yrs now, the shop is defunct and I never got the Shay back. Letters and phone calls have been to no avail. I have no clue whatever happened to it.

mocibob

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 01:02:01 PM »

I've done six of the HOn3 Balboa (Katsumi) Shays, and I think they are among the best Shays ever made.  Find a Balboa version (red foil box); the later Westside and PSC versions have a slightly changed gear tower, and are a bit harder to re-gear.  Get the NWSL 2100-6 worm/gear set, it slows the loco down, and makes it run very smoothly.

A Mashima 1020 motor will fit entirely in the bunker, and will leave space for a small DCC decoder, like a DZ125.  Make up a drive shaft of, say, .030" wire from the motor to the worm; when painted, the drive shaft is nearly invisible. 

Dutchman

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 07:38:22 AM »
I just picked up a Joe Works Mich-Cal tiny shay.  It surprised me with how well it runs.
Bruce

cadetpwr

• Yardman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »
My thoughts are that Blackstone needs to do a 3 truck Westside Lumber shay.  If PSC can sell them at $950+ factory painted with lights but no sound/DCC, the market is there.  To increase sales, BS could also offer it with standard gauge trucks.  I can see lots of mass sales on both sides, the Bman shay is a large early prototype shay.  The Westside Lumber shays were more common in size, espicaly set up for Std gauge.  I need WS shays for my new layout, but nearly had a heart attack when I saw what new PSC ones sell for, and your about there by the time you get an old WSM shay painted properly.  A narrow gauge series of engines from BS or someone in diecast/non brass format is sorely needed in HOn3.  PFM ones run well if you upgrade them with a can motor and all wheel electrical pickup.  PSC are hit and miss, the early class A 2 cylinders ran but were very noisey.  I have seen video of the newer 3 truck Westside Lumber shay running, and they seem to quiet down with some lubrication and running in on a test loop.  Westside Models shays seem to always run excellent, just need the torque arm made to control the middle truck being torque steered by the worm gear.  Now, what can I go hawk so I can buy a new PSC shay?   Cheers  Mike